Chasing

Reaction score
I have a 1000 gallon pond, very well filtered and aerated, I am not new to keeping fish, I have kept a happy pond for over 15 years now. I have a mixture of fish, Koi, Shubunkin, Goldfish. Tonight 3 of the goldfish were chasing constantly one of the others. They seemed relentless and the poor thing seemed exhausted and was tirelessly was trying to avoid them. Was it mating perhaps? I have removed it now and put it in a quarantine tank, was this the right thing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You may have the wrong ratio of male to female goldfish and need more females o less males but that is breeding behaour which can be quite brutal on the female :(

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I agree with what Dave said, you've got to try and keep a more balanced ratio. I quite frequently see 3-4 males chasing a single female, but since I have a lot of females, the males tend to expend their energy without completely wearing out any single female.

If you really want to make sure you never have any babies, get yourself one or two weather loaches. They will not leave a single egg or hatchling uneaten, but otherwise they don't bother the fish.

Ask a Question