Chlorine in outdoor water feature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Could use some advice. There is a water feature which is in a public place. I’m pretty sure it has had Chlorine added as it is immaculately clean, has lots of bubbles and froth. Birds and dogs used to drink from it. Children also put their hands in it It was very dirty, now spotless but as I say lots of bubbles on the surface. I’m a little concerned. I know it can be harmful to birds and wildlife What are the consequences of putting chlorine in an outdoor water feature and possibly not at the correct dose? Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Most public outdoor water features use chlorine to keep them clear. I don't think it will hurt anything. If it did, we'd have birds dropping dead everywhere. The foaming is probably from phosphates - organic material breaking down in the water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Wildlifelover it may hurt them but prolly not enough to kill them at least right away. Maybe over time tho as I don't think Chlorine is really good for anyone. A lot have switched over to other ways of keeping their pools clean. https://www.poolsupplyworld.com/blog/five-chlorine-alternatives-pool-owners/

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most public outdoor water features use chlorine to keep them clear. I don't think it will hurt anything. If it did, we'd have birds dropping dead everywhere. The foaming is probably from phosphates - organic material breaking down in the water.
Thank you but I wonder, as I believe it can be harmful to fish and plants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are there fish or plants in the water feature? If its just a water feature then no different than a swimming pool. The smell will probably keep the birds and other animals from drinking from it. We don't drink our tap water because of the chlorine smell and yet it is county water deemed safe for use!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
Could use some advice. There is a water feature which is in a public place. I’m pretty sure it has had Chlorine added as it is immaculately clean, has lots of bubbles and froth. Birds and dogs used to drink from it. Children also put their hands in it It was very dirty, now spotless but as I say lots of bubbles on the surface. I’m a little concerned. I know it can be harmful to birds and wildlife What are the consequences of putting chlorine in an outdoor water feature and possibly not at the correct dose? Any feedback would be very much appreciated.
Are you sure it is chlorine? Might want to check with the city or department that maintains it and ask. Here is my opinion: Much better to disinfect the water in a public water feature than to risk spreading disease. Many years ago, Polio spread through water by infected people. I wouldn't let my kids put their hands in the water if dogs, birds and other wildlife are using the feature. Kids always put their hands in their mouths and rub their eyes etc. Just my opinion.

Ask a Question