chooshing new equipment (help)

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)
I am working on my new pond right now and i was wondering if you guiys can help me with the filter,pump,uvc and sponged and pads.
I looked on the web and saw a great reviews on the Tetra Bio-Active BP1500 and thought that it looks like a good filter.
The pump i thought i should get is a Laguna 1200 GPH (waterfall pump).
what do you think of these?
do you have any ideas on equipment,what sponges should i get,media,filter,pump,tubing and everything.
please replay soon :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It all depends on the size of the pond the depth of the pond and what kind and how many fish you are keeping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
There are many pretty varieties of goldfish. I wouldn't put koi in that size pond, they grow too fast.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The pump is probably OK. I think that most of us here use some kind of a DIY [do-it-yourself] filter, as I do, so I can't help you with the filter. But if you will search this forum [CONSTRUCTION & EQUIPMENT] for the filter you named, you might find information. Or better yet, start a new thread in this same forum, but list the name of the filter in the title, as in "Need help with XYZ filter."

You have a small pond, but that doesn't mean you need to skimp on the equipment.

I wouldn't add any koi, though. As Tula said, they will grow fast, and even one koi in that size pond will be "over-stocked" in no time. An over-stocked pond will lead to unhealthy fish. Plus, koi REQUIRE a lot of room. I would stick with some pretty goldfish. Just my opinion.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Koi can grow up to 36" Aron you really do need to sit down and think this through at the very least I'd say a 1,000 gallon pond and your filters need to be man enough to take the fish load too .
I agree with both Tua and Maggie stick to goldfish for the time being learn all you can about keeping them alive and living in a clean and healthy enviroment , read books on fish health and diseases, learn to treat them then in say five years time build the koi pond of your dreams.
Dont go rushing headlong into this because thats how you come across to ourselves and others .

Dave

Ask a Question