Built as part of a complete garden make-over
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
CeeJayH updated Chris's raised pond

I designed this new pond as a complete garden make-over. I had a large sunken pond a few years ago, but this time I wanted to bring the water level up, and make the pond part of the garden. The idea is that it forms one edge of a patio area that gets the evening sun. I'm going to stock it with a few goldies, a couple of water lillies, and lots of marginal plants.

full

Overall dimensions are 4m long, 1.8m wide, and 0.6m deep in the main, but I will dig down in the middle so the full depth is about 1m in the centre.

The volume will be about 4,000 litres.

View updates to this showcase item...

Reaction score
Like your pond :) Ive got a similar pond but its not as high as yours, its 5m x 2m & about 1m deep. Ours is only 8 inches from ground level high. The pond was in a sorry state when we moved into our new house so I redug it and added railway sleepers for extra hight.
Like your plant selection we have a few lilys but the fish keep eating them :mad: we need to add more plants as its in total sun just to add some shade for the fish.

Attachments

• DSCN3186.JPG
    DSCN3186.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN3211.JPG
    DSCN3211.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 493
  • DSCN3215.JPG
    DSCN3215.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 769
  • 20140410_094931.jpg
    20140410_094931.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 538
  • 20140419_180251.jpg
    20140419_180251.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 461
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I really like what you've done with it Willo, a major improvement.I prefer the height of the raised pond as it saves my creaking knees having to bend down. The plants have settled very quickly and make all the difference.

Reaction score
Ha ha know what you mean about creaky knees :(
Thanks for the comments, hard work solid clay :cautious: but defo worth it. The height is great for me as when im sat in the conservatory I can see the pond perfectly.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I could not build that side of my yard up where my pond is because of access to the septic tank clean out .I sure don't want the poop truck driving across my whole front yard and driving over my drain field for it .Then after i raised the 3 sides I realized company really loved setting on the block wall and feeding the fish .I really wanted to do it down over my front yard but the septic tank is on 1 side of the yard and electric ,phone and fiber optic lines are on the other side of the yard .Sad 3 + acres and confined to where I could put it so I could see it from the covered front porch and view .Plus it really makes it easier to work on the pond and filters .No bending over .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is fantastic work! What a backyard transformation, great job!

Ask a Question