clarity issues in aus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
River sand but I'm pretty sure old mate at the landscape yard either gave me a mixed batch or something else I've removed 95% and have about 40kg of it sitting in a corner. I've changed my pond pipes from 50mm to 40mm and replaced my uvc globe. Next step maybe another filter or pump and eventually a new uvc I found a lot of diatoms in the pond to which I'm sure can be blamed on the filthy sand.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The water runs clear from the filter so there must be a lot of suspended particles. I just don't think only being able to see three inches into the pond is a good thing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think your pond water colour is what to expect if the pond is recently set up. You could clear it faster by adding some finer filter material , but that would need to be cleaned quite often.
Depending on what exactly the substrate is made up from, it could take quite a while to clear.
Your existing filter looks adequate enough for use in the long run.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I wonder if somehow you received 'Diatomite' granular instead of true sand. It will certainly not harm anything and will, given enough time, settle out but the minimal agitation of the bottom sub-strate will re-suspend it.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I wonder if somehow you received 'Diatomite' granular instead of true sand. It will certainly not harm anything and will, given enough time, settle out but the minimal agitation of the bottom sub-strate will re-suspend it.
I'm starting to think the same thing

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Here's about 5L of the absolute crap plaguing my pond.
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That's what cleared from the filter sponges. I've removed all the sand. Next step will be to drain entire pond and clean.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Results are in everything is okay. I can only put this down to diatoms. They will
Never settle due to the turtles and fish so I need to figure out away to remove the majority

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 165

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just to throw this out,my comets are constantly picking around at the bottom

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Vacuumed the majority of the pond yesterday and removed any crap on the bottom and added some floss to the filter so far so good I can now see the pots of some of the plants on the bottom defiantly improving. Fingers crossed

Ask a Question