Cleaner water because fountain clogged up

Reaction score
We have a beautiful copper tree that is a fountain and its pipes get clogged easily.
I have bought a UV filter but a) it is difficult to know if it is still working without dismantling it, and b) its obviously not doing what I need anyway, even if it is working.
Very small pond, 300cm diameter, 20cm deep, approx 2000 litres I think.
Although we get newts and visiting frogs and toads I’d like it clean enough to go through the fountain.
Should I be looking at an actual filtration system - like a box of sand, perhaps?
It sits in the middle of a gravel surface.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
copper could be reacting to water also .What watt is the uv and how old is the bulb.They may look like they are working but may not be

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It sounds lovely! Post some photos if you get a chance.

And yes, I'd say a filter is the way to go - but I wouldn't recommend a box of sand. I'd suggest a prefilter on your pump. Again - a photo would help with suggestions!

Reaction score
F000BA4B-725D-465B-A4C2-2F797F631C8A.jpeg 42AAF9A3-F7AF-428D-A37F-792E572C5EA5.jpeg
Herewith a photo of the pond, and another of the UV thing. A prefilter. Will Google it.
Ah-ha! Youtube’d it.
Perhaps not a bucket of sand but some white stuff wrapped round the pump?

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do not wrap quilt batting or anything around the pump it will be drawn into the pump and clog it up and possibly burn it out ,.You can stack a crate on top of a crate and put hose into it and quilt batting .I use furnace filter on top of quilt batting to pick up the heavy stuff .Not sure what you can get where you are at
100_4179.JPG

Ask a Question