cleaning pond for winter ?

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi.....I have a lot of fallen leaves in my pond and probably some old food......do I treat this with Tetra Crystal Clear to get it to float to the top and remove or just leave till the spring.....and at what point water temp wise do I cease feeding Koi with wheatgerm sticks..its fairly mild in France at the moment 11 degrees and the fish are still quite active and am feeding them once a week at the moment.......thanks

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hi.....I have a lot of fallen leaves in my pond and probably some old food......do I treat this with Tetra Crystal Clear to get it to float to the top and remove or just leave till the spring.....and at what point water temp wise do I cease feeding Koi with wheatgerm sticks..its fairly mild in France at the moment 11 degrees and the fish are still quite active and am feeding them once a week at the moment.......thanks

Bonjour

Get what leave you can out of the pond with a net. The more you get out, the better. Save the major cleaning for the Spring. Put in an aerator, breather or heater to maintain a hole in the ice for gas exchange.

You should stop feeding the fish.

Post some pictures of your pond set-up (configuration, equipment, etc.) for more detailed advice.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bonjour

Get what leave you can out of the pond with a net. The more you get out, the better. Save the major cleaning for the Spring. Put in an aerator, breather or heater to maintain a hole in the ice for gas exchange.

You should stop feeding the fish.

Post some pictures of your pond set-up (configuration, equipment, etc.) for more detailed advice.
Ditto....use a net.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I happen to realize she did not put a F or C after .Temps go on water temps not air temps .Get something to tell the water temperature .Seems a lot of people make that mistake

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I happen to realize she did not put a F or C after .Temps go on water temps not air temps .Get something to tell the water temperature .Seems a lot of people make that mistake

She's posting from France. They don't use Fahrenheit. Most nations that have joined the modern World use Celcius, Kilos, Liters, etc.;)

Everything is a factor of 10........centi, milli, micro, nano, pico...........etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
She's posting from France. They don't use Fahrenheit. Most nations that have joined the modern World use Celcius, Kilos, Liters, etc.;)

Everything is a factor of 10........centi, milli, micro, nano, pico...........etc.

In the UK we're kinda stuck in the middle. The timber merchants sell timber in inches (2x2, 4x4 etc) but in 2.8m lengths.
We drive miles, but buy fuel in litres. But I still drink pints of beer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In the UK we're kinda stuck in the middle. The timber merchants sell timber in inches (2x2, 4x4 etc) but in 2.8m lengths.
We drive miles, but buy fuel in litres. But I still drink pints of beer.
Do you or is the pint now 500ml?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Actually, it would screw me up if lumber was sold in any other way that which it's sold now.

Ironically, a 2x4 is in reality 2.75 x 3.75..............

A cold Canadian is 341mL.

1.5" by 3.5" (at least here in the US). Something, apparently about finished vs unfinished sizes. Very confusing.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Does it even freeze hard on France where you are? If the pond does not freeze or just has very thin ice, you may not even need to shut the pond down....

I quit feeding my fish in September when water cools and fish start to swim slow. If you have fish food floating that has not been eaten within 2 minutes, then you have overfed and that food should be netted out right away. Over feeding is a big problem for many people, including my husband....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
and my dogs .LOL 2 fattys with there new brother .
100_9418.JPG
100_9524.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Since this thread seems to be wandering off track, lol...
Try framing a roof in metric....:confused:... 4/12 pitch = what is that...10.16/30.48 centimeters???
Never ask a framer to do math!
(I used to frame homes):D

Ask a Question