Cleaning pond

Dbarr1575

Good with aquariums, new to ponds
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just had to empty and clean my pond because of some kind of contamination but I took out the one fish I managed to save and put her in a quarantine tank. I have since refilled the pond and am letting it "adjust" for a week or so before putting some feeder goldfish in to see how they do. Once they survive well I will add my survivor and some other fish I purchased at a fish show. Hopefully the three feeder fish will be okay and will be part of my overall population.

I'm kind of a pond newbie and when I first put the pond in I hired a service who did not do any water changes and then once a year wanted to charge me a pretty hefty sum to drain it and do a clean out. I may be new to ponds but I've had aquariums for years and knew this did not sound like a good plan to me. I have since fired the pond service and my daughter and I are taking care of it. So I guess you will find all kinds of opinions on here, but from my experience I would say once set up and established completely draining it should be a last resort if your fish are dying from something like mine were.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not drained and cleaned mine since I built it. So you are totally right!

Ask a Question