Cleaning Liner for Joint........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello everyone.... Hope you are all enjoying the Summer so far. I'm at the point where I need to add a piece of liner to extend up out of the pond for my waterfall. It will of course be glued above water level by a couple of inches. My question is, which is safer for cleaning the liner along the glue strip line as it pertains to being safe for my KOI and other fish presently in the pond, denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol? In scanning the net I see both mentioned but neither mentions the safety or harmfulness to the fish should any residue wash in at some point. I did read that denatured alcohol pretty much completely evaporates, but I figured I'd ask the experts here !! Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone might care to offer.

Bill

Reaction score
I would use acetone, it is much better at priming the rubber for a glue joint. I also use it for cleaning and priming my PVC joints.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used acetone without issue. It evaporates fast. I also rough up the liner with some sand paper.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good old plain gasoline for me keep it out of the water but as the saying goes solution through dilution. Don't get a lot in the water !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you all for your responses and valuable information. I used a Seam Tape which worked great and was very easy to do. Got it all glued up and seems very tight and secure and most of all watertight !!

Bill

Ask a Question