Clear to Brown overnight

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Funny thing, people with pools have dead caterpillars floating in them. I have none. None in the filter as well. What could be happening to those caterpillars?

If your Koi are adult size, they are most likely eating those caterpillars that may drop into the pond. They find certain species quite tasty.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yup, I figured they were being eaten. At least some good is coming from this. I built quite the "Rube Goldberg" contraption to filter the water. Costing a fortune in batting. I am trying to clean the old batting as suggested, but reusing it will put the remaining filtered poop (now very fine) back in the water. There is nothing for the peroxide to kill (as in the case with algae). People in this forum have been great with suggestions. When the day comes when I see fish again, I'll be sure to make a post describing what I have learned. It may be helpful to others is the future. Try googling "pond, brown water, caterpillars". There is nothing on this. I am a "newbe" to owning a pond, but I was a biologist a long time ago. When I think of air-born contaminants, falling caterpillar poop does not come to mind :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I heart frass.jpg

Ask a Question