Oase Filtoclear 12000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using this filter for 12 months now and it is quite big enough for my small pond. However the water quality has gradually worsened despite pumping it every week. I recently noticed that after the pumping cycle and the water was turned back on that for the first 30 seconds the water going back into the pond was dirty! My neighbour suggested that I should run the first few gallons of water to waste which I have done and it seems to have worked. Why should this happen and has anybody else had problems with this pump? Thanks, Rob.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't have experience with this specific filter, but used to use a pressurized filter. Yo'd be amazed at the amount of gunk that settles in them. Like @Meyer Jordan asked, are you back washing till the water runs clear...also your neighbor gave you good advice :)

I think even with back washing, you need to disassemble them from time to time and rinse them out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have experience with this specific filter, but used to use a pressurized filter. Yo'd be amazed at the amount of gunk that settles in them. Like @Meyer Jordan asked, are you back washing till the water runs clear...also your neighbor gave you good advice :)

I think even with back washing, you need to disassemble them from time to time and rinse them out.
Yes I can backwash every day but still not that clear. Yes I do it until the water runs clear at both ends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You say the water quality has gradually worsened.....have you tested it for ammonia, nitrite , nitrate, PH and phosphates?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
For me, if I knew the water parameters were good, I'd feel more relaxed about the health of the fish. I understand your frustration, sometimes manufacturers over state what these filters can do. Are you able to post a picture of your set up ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to take it to pieces and squeezed the sponges clean, gave it all a good blast of water and it wasn't difficult. Today it is gin clear so I will keep my eye on it. By the way I only have eight fish!

Ask a Question