clear water?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Vertigo, Your trying to break this all down into scientific reasoning. It's really simple, Removing green water is accomplished two ways, killing the cells and removing it by mechanical means, or starving it and removing it by mechanical means.
The first is done by UV and or chemical, The second is done by plants removing the nitrates in which the algae cells feed on. With this type of filter you are using up the nutrients and at the same time removing the cells out by back backflushing them out of the system and completely removing them out of the breakdown process. Will it work as effectively with no plants, NO, I seriuosly doubt it will, plants are part of the breakdown in the system. If your wanting to do this this with no plants and a heavy fish load this is where the chemicals or UV will be needed.
Your looking for proof, look at the sucsess that others are having using similar builds. Is it the best filter out there for this, Probably not but it does cost about 1/4-1/10th of the cost of a effective out of the box filter. This is a DYI, similar to your pond, Does it work? ask the folks that have built and use it. I can't find anyone that will argue the point that they DON'T work. Even with modifications in size, media choice, and flow rates there are some differences in effectiveness but they still work.
This filter is not designed to be the state of the art in filtration, it doesn't make claims documented by scientific facts. It was thought up, made out of materials that anyone can find at a local hardware store and stuff they already have and it has good function. Why argue? If you don't think it works, try building one and test it out in the different scenerios you suggest. for now those that have built one and are using it effectively are happy with it, I know I am and I have no reason to rock this boat.

Reaction score
Fishin', Im not saying its a bad filter, and for the money you surely cant beat it (*). Im saying one shouldnt recommend it as a solution against green water and suggest it as alternative to UV as Dave seemed to do, especially when the only evidence of it doing anything for green water (that Ive seen) is gorgeous ponds with jealousy evoking clear water, but that are stuffed with plants. Green water requires a different solution, be it plants, UV, chemicals or intense water changes, I think we can all agree on that.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Vertigo
This is starting to get old...
When I built my Doc Bio Filter, the pond was new and had no plants. Either accept that it works, or build one and see that it works. I am not taking any more final exams, I'm too old for that.

Reaction score
In a new pond its rather common for algae to appear and disappear by itself. If you want to credit your, or any biofilter for removing microscopic algae that feed on the end product of a mature biofilter, we will just have to agree to disagree.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Single cell, green algae, rarely goes away without doing anything. We must have more than a 1000 member that this year alone have this problem. Most of them, have taken the easy, expensive way out, using UV rather than an engineered approach to remove it.
I personally think that is another un-natural thing to do. Everything about my ponds is natural and 43 years of ponding has given me the wisdom to do it right.
You are right, we agree to disagree...

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gosh, I'm sure glad I asked those questions! LOL although it sounds like this discussion has been brewing for awhile. I love how Addy, JW and Sissy have their own forum within a forum and stay out of the fray! ;-) Great info still. Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a bog, only a bog, so can not speak with any intelligence or experience as too this subject. All I know is my water is clear and algae free.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've never used a U.V, don't have a bog and I try to keep lots of plants and put in kitty litter and barley and I do partial water changes but I'm not there yet as water does go green now and then but I live w/ it and I'm not getting involved in any frays, uh, uh no way Jose', I learned my lesson, right bullfrog? :rolleyes:

Ask a Question