Comments?...............looks like overkill to me................

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've heard from several Aquascape pond owners that the installer almost demanded that they sign a contract for a yearly power-wash and cleanout, suggesting that their pond would become a cesspool if this wasn't done. If they have discontinued this practice, it has only been in the last couple of years!
John

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you do a YouTube search for "Pond Clean Out Spring", that's the first thing that pops up. It's three years old, or so it says.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've heard from several Aquascape pond owners that the installer almost demanded that they sign a contract for a yearly power-wash and cleanout, suggesting that their pond would become a cesspool if this wasn't done. If they have discontinued this practice, it has only been in the last couple of years!
John

If this is true then it surely originated with Aquascape. If they haven't changed their philosophy on this most destructive practice then maybe their knowledge base needs a good power-washing.
This, to be truthful, really doesn't surprise me. When Aquascape first started part of their philosophy was that UV units were not desired or a needed accessory for a pond. This changed when the company was expanded through acquisition of another pond-related business. After the acquisition, UVs were suddenly the right thing and everyone really should have one. The justification that was made by ownership was that customer demand dictated that UVs be offered. (in other words...the bottom line). Whatever happened to educating the customer with accurate information? I have not bought or recommended an Aquascape product since.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
John

Anything for the almighty dollar! They might as well change the liner while they're at it !!! :) ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If this is true then it surely originated with Aquascape. If they haven't changed their philosophy on this most destructive practice then maybe their knowledge base needs a good power-washing.
This, to be truthful, really doesn't surprise me. When Aquascape first started part of their philosophy was that UV units were not desired or a needed accessory for a pond. This changed when the company was expanded through acquisition of another pond-related business. After the acquisition, UVs were suddenly the right thing and everyone really should have one. The justification that was made by ownership was that customer demand dictated that UVs be offered. (in other words...the bottom line). Whatever happened to educating the customer with accurate information? I have not bought or recommended an Aquascape product since.

It's not funny but what you wrote got a laugh over here ... I do have their LED lights and must says, they've been going for 3 years, one under the falls. Never shut down, not even in the winter, 6-8 hrs/ day depending on season. Just an FYI !!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Oh yeah they still do this! Had a guy come out for a paid consult in which he taught us NOTHING and never followed through with future build site visits he promised. They also insist on having gravel in the bottom of the pond, then get you signed up for the clean outs you need cause everything gets stuck in that gravel then they also sell you copious amounts of beneficial bacteria and enzymes and algaecides etc. to dose your pond with weekly or bi weekly, wonder why you need that!??? And the cycle goes on! :greedy: And now they use a copper treatment to control algae, like it's some new concept! Yeah copper kills lots of things including invertebrates which I find a crucial part of an eco-system but they would die anyway when you blast them with the pressure power so eh. :banghead:

Pond sure does look pretty with all that freshly cleaned rock in it though! lol ;)

We went and saw one of that guy's local ponds at a nursery and it was horrible! Basic build typical of a retail build but built well with nice shape, edges and landscaping but the water was gross and filled with algae and crude, fish gasping, dying plants, just horrible. Went back to said place during there big aquatic plant sale and the pond was clean and clear but no plants what so ever and a huddle mass of fish in the deepest part which considering it was 20" max and got FULL sun ALL day they were probably trying to stay cool....then we saw an employee dumping tons of water softener salt into it. He explained to me this was the only way they could keep the pond looking presentable. Some eco-system pond. :rolleyes:

I see him everywhere now that I am in the pond circuit, very awkward. :oops: Sorry if that turned into a rant, they just don't do ponds how I like to do ponds, I'm done now. :censored:

Ask a Question