Common Problem Green Pond Water

vic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At beginning of spring I cleaned sponges in my filter but not the medium and replaced the old UV lamp with a new one but the water is still a green shade but not pea soup.I have pondexpert pump flowmaster 3500 and pondexpert filter PXEF 12000 with 11 watt UV.There are nine goldfish in the pond which is approx 1000 galls.I have been told via pondexpert live chat that I need either an additional UV or some sort of treatment.I can't understand why the filter etc does not do the job when advertised as sufficient for the pond .Please help

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is a quite common misconception concerning biofilters. They will not control algae blooms. On the contrary, it is the biological processes that take place within the biofilter that actually support such blooms along with other players such as uneaten fish food, organic debris. fish poop etc. What must be controlled is the levels of the latter if one is to avoid chronic 'pea soup'.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is the ponds way of protecting your fish before the plants start growing .A pool net and feeding the fish less before the filter starts working works .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
.There are nine goldfish in the pond which is approx 1000 galls. ... I can't understand why the filter etc does not do the job when advertised as sufficient for the pond .Please help
Short answer, they never do and never did. It used to be if you had a 1,000 gallon pond, you needed filters for a 4,000 gallon pond to run it properly. It's very much like the difference between the picture of the food in the menu and what is set in front of you by the wait staff.
Adding treatments rarely help more than temporarily. What does help is vacuumng the muck from the bottom, increasing aeration or flooming the water at the bottom, adding plants or a bog filter and patience.

Everybody is complaining about green water this year.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
treatments can effect fish and the heath of them also .You don't want sick fish ,give it time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Short answer, they never do and never did. It used to be if you had a 1,000 gallon pond, you needed filters for a 4,000 gallon pond to run it properly. It's very much like the difference between the picture of the food in the menu and what is set in front of you by the wait staff.
Adding treatments rarely help more than temporarily. What does help is vacuumng the muck from the bottom, increasing aeration or flooming the water at the bottom, adding plants or a bog filter and patience.

Everybody is complaining about green water this year.

Not me. Sure, my water's green, but its a damn sight better than the floating scum algae I was battling a week ago, so I am happy.

Ask a Question