Common Snapping Turtles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i have a koi pond on the home I just bought. Finally getting a grasp on things and added some fish to the pond. I’m starting to find snapping turtles are getting in my backyard or have been here the entire time. So far I have caught and relocated 3.

My question is, should I worry about these guys eating my fish or just let them all be and live in my pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Holy cow! Never snappers! Definitely a danger to your fish and not especially human friendly. How big are they? Are they actually in the pond?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with Lisa, don’t leave them, keep relocating them. Even the little ones will bite fish much larger than themselves. I’ve seen a 3” snapper Latch onto the tail of a fish well over a foot long.

If they are big they will eat your koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Holy cow! Never snappers! Definitely a danger to your fish and not especially human friendly. How big are they? Are they actually in the pond?
Maybe 6-8 inches in shell diameter. I’ve pulled 2 out of my skimmer and one I lured out with a fishing pole. After getting the first one and not seeing any fish for a couple of days I assumed they were eaten. Then I started seeing them again. Fast forward 2 weeks and I’ve found 2 more the past 3 days. Still see the fish from time to time. They hide under the vast Lilly’s most of the time. I assumed getting rid of the turtles is the way to go just wanted to make sure y’all agreed. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Agree with Lisa, don’t leave them, keep relocating them. Even the little ones will bite fish much larger than themselves. I’ve seen a 3” snapper Latch onto the tail of a fish well over a foot long.

If they are big they will eat your koi.
Thanks, kind of what I thought would be the consensus on here. 3 inches barrier around the pond should suffice to keep a turtle out?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Someone posted a video of a snapping turtle climbing a 4' chain link fence. I don't know if it was on this site or not.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We watched a full grown one climb a two and a half foot high stone wall. They seem slow and awkward, but they can be fast and agile when they are on a mission!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agreed it is amazing what turtles can get in and out of.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well dang! How do you keep them out???

The one I caught last night was in a box until I could relocate today. Huge storm came through and blew the box over, guess it made it back to the pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure if there are different kinds of snapping turtles, but the ones we have here are hard to be mistaken, the shell has pointy bumps and the mouth is also pointy...one ugly turtle!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, kind of what I thought would be the consensus on here. 3 inches barrier around the pond should suffice to keep a turtle out?
Turtles, in general, are escape artists: climbers, diggers, and I’m convinced that they can levitate! A barrier might help, but you’ll still have to be vigilant — I seriously doubt that 3” would be adequate, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
44E6987A-73BF-4C55-B531-EB3C4B296902.jpeg
Dumb question but - are you sure they're snappers?
Sorry... just got logged back in on here. Yes, I’m pretty sure but here’s a pic if you can confirm for me.

Ask a Question