Composter bin as pump vault?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone tried using one of those hard plastic composter bins as a tank vault? If they're rigid enough, I imagine that would be even less expensive than a 12" diameter drainage pipe AND it comes with a lid. I was thinking about something like this:
1700068610585.png

or this:
1700068889102.png

Seems to me like water would flow just fine through the vents and the rigid plastic would keep the rocks in the bog/intake bay/zero edge vault from infiltrating.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YOU THINK IT CAN HOLD BACK THE EARTH AS IT IS EXPOSED TO RAINS AND NOT HAVE IIT COLAPSE. we have seen actual pump vaults fail.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had tried one of those bins for composting a few years back, very similar design. It did not last that long, maybe a couple of years. The plastic is not that thick and the way they are put together they are not that strong. Exposure to the elements does them in. You may get away with it for awhile but it will fail, just not built for the purpose you are thinking.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had tried one of those bins for composting a few years back, very similar design. It did not last that long, maybe a couple of years. The plastic is not that thick and the way they are put together they are not that strong. Exposure to the elements does them in. You may get away with it for awhile but it will fail, just not built for the purpose you are thinking.
Darn. guess it's back to the drawing board....
A DYI possibility is plastic pallets or as Wombat did , milk crates
Those are actually hard to find where I am. I've asked all kinds of stores and gas stations for them and they always tell me they have to give theirs back after they're unloaded.

I thought about Milk crates too - to buy them is anywhere from $6 each on facebook marketplace to $11 brand new at home depot. When you multiply that by what I'd need for a single layer on the bottom of my bog, it's hundreds of dollars. The $1.50 per milk crate that CW got was an incredible deal that I just can't find. Still, $24 for 4 milk crates that hold 60 gallons combines is a lot better than $68 for an aquablock that holds 32 gallons.

Ask a Question