Container Pond/Water feature

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well I am considering some sort of mini container pond/water feature on my patio. I would really like to grow one of the forms of Nymphaea pygmea
And have the following questions:

What is the minimum size that I need for this species (depth, surface area, volume etc)

Would I plant the rhizome directly into the soil at the bottom of the pond? Or do I have to plant into a pot first?

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lilies are all in oil pans with kitty litter clay, other people put theirs right on the bottom of the pond. Both work The water depth depends on the type of lily, mine are 2-4 feet deep.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Pygmaea will do very well in a 15 gallon tub. They need only about 8" of water over the crown, but can take up to a foot or so. They occupy about 1 1/2 sq.' of surface. The perfect waterlily for a small water feature!
John

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I'm considering some container dealies in the future and have a real basic question to ask:

Could one simple take a 5 gallon plastic drywall container that's been cleaned out, dig a hole, fill with water and soil and plants? Is that it?

Does water need to be flowing, drained etc or is as simple as leaving it as is and adding water when it gets low?

I'm assuming you can make them for water plants and make others for bog plants etc etc etc

Thanks

Dave

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm considering some container dealies in the future and have a real basic question to ask:

Could one simple take a 5 gallon plastic drywall container that's been cleaned out, dig a hole, fill with water and soil and plants? Is that it?

Does water need to be flowing, drained etc or is as simple as leaving it as is and adding water when it gets low?

I'm assuming you can make them for water plants and make others for bog plants etc etc etc

Thanks

Dave

yep to the above, the only issues is mosquitoes if you leave enough water in them for breeding of those blood suckers. I have a few, just add water when it is low, I do watch out for the wigglers, I let the water get below dirt level to kill off any that are thinking of living if I see wigglers. Then refill.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Let us know how they work herz as I have some that I used pieces of in a tub once but the larvae still stayed. Maybe I should have used a whole one but thought I could get by w/ smaller sized.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a 5 gallon container that I dug into the side of a hill put a oil pan in it with some kitty litter and planted my lotus. It was in direct sunlight and getting very warm and turning green so I bought a solar pump and just use that to circulate the water during the day and it has really helped with the green water I can now see to the bottom.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a 5 gallon container that I dug into the side of a hill put a oil pan in it with some kitty litter and planted my lotus. It was in direct sunlight and getting very warm and turning green so I bought a solar pump and just use that to circulate the water during the day and it has really helped with the green water I can now see to the bottom.

My lotus tub is murky water, has an aerator running, full of rosey red minnows, I know it will clear if we get it running with the pond.

addy, have you ever tried those "mosquito dunks" in your container water gardens? just picked some up and going to try them out

Yes I have used them, they work well. Sometimes I get po'd at the wigglers and toss in some bleach..........lol My lotus tub I put in minnows and a aerator so far no wigglers.

Ask a Question