Controlling Water Pump Output

Reaction score
Country
United States
This question has been burning in my mind for years, and I have never been able to find an answer.

I have some DIY fountains that I hook the water pump up to, and then I manually adjust a PVC ball valve to adjust the height of the feature. This all works fine, but what I want to be able to do is vary the height by some pre-programmed sequence.

I am not sure how this is typically done (I see it in fountains at malls, shopping centers, parks) so I am not sure what they do to accomplish this. For small/medium installs like I see locally, my best guess would be that there is one water pump with enough flow capacity to send enough water to each feature at the maximum desired height, and then there is some electronically controlled valve that caries the pressure/flow allowed to each nozzle. Does anyone know if this is accurate? Is this OK to do to water pumps, restrict their output? If so, does anyone know where I can find these electronically controlled valves. Google searches have not lead me anywhere.

Or are there pumps where I can electronically change the speed/output and send more/less water to the features? Maybe each nozzle needs its own dedicated pump, and by varying its output, I can do things like make the water shoot higher or lower.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Ask a Question