Dead toad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I just found this little guy on the plant ledge in my pond. He was face down so I thought he was resting. Long story short...he wasn't. What would have caused him to split open like this? image.jpegimage.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a pond scarecrow that chases away the critters. In the pond, we only have goldfish. I scooped him out of the water, so he would have been attacked in the pond? I wondered if there is a cause for spontaneous eruption ? Also, we have a green pond frog that lives in the pond. Could he have attacked the toad? The green pond frog just showed up last summer and stuck around over the winter. I saw him just the other day catching some rays

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi Tracy, welcome to the forum!
As for your toad, it's hard to tell. My only experience in that area is the occasional frog like that and my guess is if he was very limber and kind of "flopped" over he may have been dead for quite a while and because of their under side being soft that may just be the first area to weaken. I have no basis for this, it's just a "SWAG".

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick responses. I actually joined the forum today because of the frog situation, but I think there is other valuable pond information to be found here. I'm so glad I joined.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There are some excellent "ponders" here and they are more than willing to share a wealth of information.

Ask a Question