Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi Meyer,
YES, you have it exactly correct.

This only supports my original assessment. The areas that were covered in sediment/debris were exposed to the degrading effects of bacterial action due to the acid released by organic oxidation. It would also be expected that the biofilm would be thicker in those areas and that the biofilm, during its growth would trap inorganics , i.e. sand, within its polymeric matrix.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This only supports my original assessment. The areas that were covered in sediment/debris were exposed to the degrading effects of bacterial action due to the acid released by organic oxidation. It would also be expected that the biofilm would be thicker in those areas and that the biofilm, during its growth would trap inorganics , i.e. sand, within its polymeric matrix.

Hi Meyer,
I can see the clear logic of your explanation. I agree. So you would suggest that I take no further action to remove this sediment, because the acid from organic oxidation has compromised the fiberglass gel coat, and to remove the debris that caused it would only cause more damage to the pond shell. I should just monitor the situation.
Correct?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi Meyer,
I can see the clear logic of your explanation. I agree. So you would suggest that I take no further action to remove this sediment, because the acid from organic oxidation has compromised the fiberglass gel coat, and to remove the debris that caused it would only cause more damage to the pond shell. I should just monitor the situation.
Correct?

Action or inaction is your decision. Removal of the unsightly accretion would not alone further any existing degradation or weakening of this basin. Future biofilm formation could if left unsealed. Understand, however, that the only way to accomplish this would be with a grinder and that the surface would absolutely require re-sealing to prevent any further degradation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Action or inaction is your decision. Removal of the unsightly accretion would not alone further any existing degradation or weakening of this basin. Future biofilm formation could if left unsealed. Understand, however, that the only way to accomplish this would be with a grinder and that the surface would absolutely require re-sealing to prevent any further degradation.

Hi Meyer,
Thank you very much.
Steveareno

Ask a Question