Deck the pool with...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well, there's not that many for cold wintery waters, however, water hawthorn is a bit of a gem to greet the season

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
water_hawthorn_xmasgpf.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Water Hawthorn has veeeery long delicate roots which might be a tad cranky about being moved. The one in the photo has been in its pot for two seasons

Regards, andy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I didn't repot mine but I did move it to the other end of the pond away from the falls as I think it would like calmer waters. Maybe mine will do better after a year or so. I'm hoping :razz:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yup it can take a season or two to figure out how to fire up perennials.

Water hawthorn was moved from a droughted pond where there was often no water, no fertiliser and over run with stray stuff. All it had was a single stubborn sprout showing where its tuber was.

Set on a 3 gallon pot of nice loam, a couple of cubic inches of slow release fertiliser, steady water level, it now blooms through Christmas, New Year, in spite of 25f freezes.

To cheat a tad, it has now got winter protection to see if it can continue to bud and make it through what brutal cold January will bring

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess I should fertilize mine in the Spring. It's too cold out there now to do anything..........brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some, hope it comes back ok. It is in a pot in the big pond, first winter.

Ask a Question