Decrease pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pump that I use is perfect for my pond and I have the outlet running into a pipe in the pond wall. My problem is that it is a bit too forceful as it goes into the pond. I cannot regulate the pump so what can I do? Maybe split the flow by connecting some sort of Y connector and thus having two flows into the pond? Any suggestions gratefully received. Rob.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Valve the pump output, not input, and you can select the flow you need. When you restrict the outflow there is no damage to the pump, and the electricity use drops so you save a little money. This information came from the tech guy at sequence in Colorado.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry but I do not understand that. My pump has no regulator on it so I assume I have to spread the flow a bit by using two outlets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
its always good as much as flow possible , not wise to waste energy by restricting flow because pump will consume same energy , may be u can release the flow into a stream or waterfall or some pot that overflows , or release it at corner on rocks or as shower outlet , or add divider for 4 outlets or widen the outlet pipe... many ways , if you can show whats happening

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Water pumps, especially direct drive pumps, operate more efficiently when some back pressure is present. This can be in the form of Head or created by throttling the flow with a valve. It is when a water pump is free-spinning that the most energy is consumed and the most heat is generated creating the circumstances for shorter pump life. I agree with @carolinaguy, the addition of a valve on the outflow line of the pump will correct your flow problem.
That being said, the flow rate to your pond should be at least 1.5 times the pond capacity for maximum biofiltration efficiency.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sorry but I do not understand that. My pump has no regulator on it so I assume I have to spread the flow a bit by using two outlets.
okay, if you want the same flow but not in a direct line, you can add a pipe into the pond and finish the end of the pipe with a tee that directs the flow in two directions thus reducing the velocity if that is still to strong, use an X connection that will direct water in three directions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
actually you only need one outlet. we did this in our last pond by making a diffuser pipe that is capped at the end. make the pipe as long as you want and drill holes in the pipe all along the length in every direction like a sieve. the water will be uniformly diffused in all directions around your pond without lowering your flow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you have a waterfall? If not split the outflow with a y valve and run the extra water over some rocks so the water splashes down to the pond. It will have two benefits. One, a nice ambient noise and two, it will contribute to water oxygenation which is always a good thing if you have fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you look at the lower left of the waterfall, I did what Comet Keith is talking about. I put another pipe and valve on the discharge from the pump to divert water from the waterfall

Attachments

• IMG_5982.PNG
    IMG_5982.PNG
    339.1 KB · Views: 155
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can add a ball valve to the line so you can turn it up or down to increase or decrease the flow. You'll gain a lot of control over the flow that way. But I agree with the suggestion to add a waterfall if you can - the same flow over rocks with give you a more pleasing effect, add aeration and you'll naturally decrease the flow rate a bit by adding some height (head).

Ask a Question