Depth of water lilies for winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Took a long drill bit and drilled through it. (5 foot deep area no chance of hitting bottom)

The small ponds, once the edge started melting I stuck my hand down until I felt the bottom of the ice and it was the bottom of the pond.
Ice augers are popular around here. Many people have gas powered ones. I just use a hand auger. It will drill a five inch hole, one foot deep, in less than a minute. When you get over 2 feet of ice, that last foot goes a little harder.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We, usually, don't freeze long enough to get ice as deep as it was this last winter. I was surprised to find it a foot deep. We do a lot of freeze, melt, freeze , melt, usually.........lol

When you get over 2 feet of ice, that last foot goes a little harder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We, usually, don't freeze long enough to get ice as deep as it was this last winter. I was surprised to find it a foot deep. We do a lot of freeze, melt, freeze , melt, usually.........lol
My upper pond doesn't get that thick either. The spring keeps the water too warm. The area just above the spring stays open for a long time, and is never safe to walk across. Mostly, I use my auger when I go ice fishing for yellow perch.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
There are a couple water lilies around for us northeners - Fragrant Water-lily (Nymphaea odorata) and Pygmy Water-lily (N. leibergii)

They're just hard to find for sale anywhere.

words4it_bullhead_1237_1300.jpg

220px-Nymphaea_leibergii.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need to find a pond with them growing in and borrow a few...............a wild pond, don't get shot borrowing lilies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You need to find a pond with them growing in and borrow a few...............a wild pond, don't get shot borrowing lilies.
a few years ago, my mom brought a friend over. She wanted some lilies for her pond. What could I say? I watched from the house. They were yanking on my lilies as hard as they could. I went out and said this pond is my pride and joy. I would like to keep it the way it is.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
a few years ago, my mom brought a friend over. She wanted some lilies for her pond. What could I say? I watched from the house. They were yanking on my lilies as hard as they could. I went out and said this pond is my pride and joy. I would like to keep it the way it is.
ouch I would have said let me get them for you, ow hands off

Ask a Question