addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I live in Malta Europe the water temperature is48 f. how low is a danger point for the fish? And do the fish stop swimming a lot? I'm new to pond s
My pond goes down to freezing in the winter, bottom temperature is around 34-35 the fish do fine. They just sort of hang out floating around. I still see the snacking on algae etc off and on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
Thx Addy mine stay a lot at the bottom all together

keyplayer

Worst Winter yet...
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Canada
I remember reading this article before I started my pond to turn off the pump during winter

It states that bio breaks down due to the cold so not a big deal

Also in the pumps manual it also recommend turning it off at a certain temperature.

Article: http://www.bradshawsdirect.ie/blog/ready-for-the-freeze/

This was the first week that it reached freezing so dismantled and cleaned everything. Now I am reading everywhere never to turn off the filter during winter. Well to late now.

Oh boy..
My ponds have been running for five years with loss of only a handful of fish. We're in Zone 5a and the pond is FROZEN-OVER for at least three months. I maintain a tiny BREATHER HOLE using a VENTURI powered by a very small pump to let noxious gases escape. Because all my fish are confined to one small pond in winter I also use an AIR STONE to add a little extra oxygen but my entire filter system is shut down and dismantled for 3-4 months, cleaned out (not «disinfected«!!!) and restarted when all danger of freezing has passed. After some particularly cold winters I've had to boost-start the filters with bottled bacteria. FISH are amazingly TOUGH. During sunny spells they even come to the surface and swim around under the ice.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I live in ice cold Canada, and have not shut down my pumps since 1991!!!!
I run all my pumps and use underwater big barrel filters all winter long.
Would NEVER shut all my pumps off as my big 10 pound koi need lots of oxygen.
Don't recommend you run external filters as they can freeze hard. All my pumps and filters below the ice and I run a big 1500 watt heater as well to keep all 4 connecting ponds running all winter.

My two oldest koi are very old and have been living outside since 1991. Fish are all healthy and water is always crystal clear!
Never lost any fish due to ice cold running water either!!!

Ask a Question