Honey Bees

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm Susan and want to say hello. I've had my pond over 30 years and have always had goldfish. This year I also have honey bees on my lily pads and flowers and they won't leave. This is a first and I'm wondering if anyone else has had them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a constant stream of honey bees on several of my frog ponds. They come for the water, the hotter it is the more I get. One about every 10 seconds.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi, I'm Susan and want to say hello. I've had my pond over 30 years and have always had goldfish. This year I also have honey bees on my lily pads and flowers and they won't leave. This is a first and I'm wondering if anyone else has had them.
I raise bees and they love the lily pads. Bees need a place to land to be able to sip the water. They usually will not bother you one bit. Someone started raising bees around you. Water is essential to the bees. I have 11 ponds each water area has its collection of bees. Recently they love the bog, the 1000 gallon pond and the deck ponds.

Watch the flight path and that is the direction the hives are at. Or you have a wild hive somewhere near.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Why in the world would you want them to leave? Bees are essential to everything we do as gardeners... and humans for that matter. Enjoy eating things that are grown in the earth? Thank the bees. Enjoy eating things that enjoy eating things that are grown in the earth? thank the bees. When you build a pond you provide an environment that is helpful to all kinds of creatures, pollinators included.

Welcome to the GPF @suznfrmmn ! We'd love to see pictures of your pond, bees and all!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a constant stream of honey bees on several of my frog ponds. They come for the water, the hotter it is the more I get. One about every 10 seconds.
Good to know! After so many years with my pond I've never had them before. I've seen them on my flowers but not that often. i do have frogs too, I assume they are eating some of the bees but have never seen that. Someone told me that the bees could be a mile or two away so I've been paying more attention to them coming and going and there is a constant stream.
Thanks!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! And welcome to your bees, as well!

I rescued a bee a few months ago! I was magnet fishing at the neighborhood lake and saw the little lady, struggling in the water. Was able to use my rope — she crawled on the rope and I let her dry out before placing her in a nearby shrub. There are 2 known bee-keepers who live in the area.
79B932B9-B79E-4C4C-95DC-DAF7B57F9C2A.jpeg
CF7294B7-6081-480F-ACA6-987F4790CCBC.jpeg
2DA7A010-6557-4617-9529-7FF37CAA881A.jpeg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Someone told me that the bees could be a mile or two away so I've been paying more attention to them coming and going and there is a constant stream.
Thanks!
They are lousy swimmers ie can't if they fall into the water. Only live if they can grab something to pull themselves out of the water.
Bees will fly up to 5 miles from their hives, for nectar, pollen etc, they prefer a 3 mile range. They prefer water to be a lot closer.
They love stinky water, ie algae, dirt, bogs. I do not see many in my big fish filled pond, mainly in the non fish ponds where parrots feather, lily pads, etc are floating on the top of the water.

We have a steady stream of bees from the water to the hives. Ours are about 75 feet from the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Susan! How cool to have honey bees visiting your pond. It says something about the nice habitat your have created. Enjoy!

Ask a Question