Dividing pond irises

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Speaking of pond irises, is it too late to divide them? I bought a basket a few years ago, and they've gotten HUGE! They need to be divided, but I'm just not sure when (or exactly how, but I'm assuming I'll do them like the irises; heavy clay soil in the bottom, then the root / rhizome / tuber / whatever-ya-call-it, followed by more clay, then about 1/2" of pea gravel).

Most of the blooms are already gone, but I have plenty of green leaves. The attached picture was taken on June 19, and you can see they've dominated the right side of my pond. I've pulled out the cattails on the left, so I'd like to split the irises and fill up the back on either side of the water stream.

Can I do it now, or do I need to wait until October like I do with garden irises?

Attachments

• 20190619_131443.jpg
    20190619_131443.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 134

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I cut divide and move almost anytime. But usually wait until they have bloomed. Do them now and that gives them time to settle before winter hits.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Same as @addy1 - I do it when I'm ready and have the time. I have a bog full that will be meeting their fate in the next few days!

I divided the last ones with a pick ax - it's not a gentle process by any means.

Ask a Question