Dividing water lilies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi ya'all! Finally get to do some pond work and I think I am gonna start with dividing my lilies. They've already started growing like crazy and a few leaves have made it to the surface. But, it was already outgrowing its pot last fall. Anyway, I have a friend with a new pond that is going to take some of the divisions (I think I'll get 4-5 out of this) and she will be coming here Saturday to get them. What can I do with them in the meantime? Can I just float them in a tub of pond water until she can take them home and get them potted/planted how she wants them? Also if anyone here would like some, they are the almost black variety from Menards. It grows quite big and has gorgeous hot pink flowers.

thanks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep just keep them in water and they'll be fine till your friend repots them.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Jen; I believe you got a mis-labelled plant. The flowers on the "Almost Black" should be a very dark red colour, not hot pink. The good thing is, all water lillies are beautiful, regardless of colour.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I wondered about that John. They definitely never looked like the picture on the box it came in. They are however very pretty so I'm happy :) And as we speak I have a bud making its way up to the surface now, its about halfway! Cannot wait for my first lily bloom!!

Ask a Question