DIY biofilter

Reaction score
nc0gnet0 said:
This being said, pressurized filters are better at mechanical filtration, where-as non-pressurized filters (trickle filters) are better at biological filtration.

Beautifully stated. In a pressurized system, like with bead filters, for example, you have a higher chance of killing your bacteria if you don't regularly flush the system. In a skippy style filter, many suggest never even touching it.

Reaction score
I don't think my system would be pressurised if I kept the lid on, for there will be a bigger outlet than what I have being pumped into the system. Please correct me if I am wrong. See the attached photos. The picture is the system I have been using so far using three 30 gal. barrels. The drawings are what I want to build. The hand drawn drawing is my terrible creation, but I think you get the jist of it. Please let me know what you think. I am thinking about using bulkheads, but I am not going to go through the top lid, but rather attach from the side instead more like the other drawing. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• image001.gif
    image001.gif
    27.6 KB · Views: 485
  • filter.JPG
    filter.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 514
  • Tanks.jpg
    Tanks.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 456
Reaction score
Here in this photo, you can see where the water from the filter goes, right to the water fall in the upper left hand corner of the picture, the filter is behind the falls and between the garage and fence...

Attachments

• Pond_Panorama_small.jpg
    Pond_Panorama_small.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 412
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Beautifully stated. In a pressurized system, like with bead filters, for example, you have a higher chance of killing your bacteria if you don't regularly flush the system. In a skippy style filter, many suggest never even touching it.

How do you build a 55 gallon skippy????

Reaction score
wow! that is a tight squeeze for your barrels! Not an inch to spare in between that fence.

Your first drawing is good. if you are using PVC pipe pieces, I would put 'em all in a mesh bag so that you can easily pull them out of the barrel when needed. You don't want to be chasing after hundreds of stray bits and parts.

I'm not clear on your 2nd drawing versus your first. In your second drawing your water comes in from the top. I would not recommend that...do an upflow filter like your first drawing..

Why are you putting in new barrels? What's wrong with your current set up?

You are building a skippy....that's pretty much what these are. LOL!

Reaction score
You see, I am new to all of this. I am going to be bringing my water in from the bottom, like in the first drawing. My second drawing was just an attempt to be more like the system I have now. I am just upgrading to more filtration than I had before. You see, the first and second barrels in my system had no biological filtration, just vortex for sediment. I am planning on staggering my two 55 gallon barrels so the back barrel is higher than the front barrel. I want to bring the water in about 6" up from the bottom, but then I want to put in a T and then two 90º elbows so the water will swirl. Should I do this in both barrels, or just the first. I was planning on using R-Matala in the first barrel as both a mechanical and biological filtration, and in the second barren, I have some of that straw-like material. See picture. Along with some pvc strapping and other media type. Yes, it will be a tight squeeze, but I think I can get it done. I just want to get it done right the first time without having to make changes, as you can see there isn't much room. I am going to use concrete blocks to build a multi-level platform for the barrels to rest upon. Should I use bulkheads for the drains as well, or is there a better solution. We have nowhere to buy bulkheads around here, so if you have any suggestions in that department, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again for all your help!

Attachments

• ubm8.gif
    ubm8.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 286
Reaction score
Here is a photo of the other material I have for my second barrel, before it goes out to the falls. Any ideas of what other types of other material I could use for bio material? Like I said, I want to keep it simple and easy to maintain. This picture isn't mine, it is just a picture that has some of the material I am going to use.

Attachments

• BTM1.gif
    BTM1.gif
    30.4 KB · Views: 385
Reaction score
Your second drawing is still a bottom feed system your just inputting it from the top, then routing it to the bottom of the barrel before it exits. Nothing wrong with this 9other than it might cost you a little flow), just a little more to hide in terms of astetics.

As for what to use for bio material, evryone here will have there personal favorites and there is a multitude of right answers from pvc shavings to mats to scrubby's to plastic bottle caps, the list could go on and on. Generally speaking the more surface area the better, as long as the material doesn't become plugged.

IMHO, there are alot of designs with the single barrel skippy filters here, and they work quite well. But, as it seems you are set on going with a two barrel system, personally I would let the first barrel do the mechanical filtratation and then input the water to the second barrel from the top down via spray bars over your bio media. You will get additional aeration and off gassing this way. but in order to do this the output of the second filter on the bottom of the barrel would have to be elevated above the waterfall (or at least level with it). From your pictures this seems to be the case but I can't tell for sure.

Reaction score
The only reason I went with two barrels, is that I thought it would take both of them to do the job for my 2400 gallon pond. Do you think that only one barrel would suffice? If so, that would eliviate a lot of logistical problems for me. If one barrel will work, that would be GREAT! What are your thoughts on this.I just want to have enough surface are for my biological to work. Also, you don't know this yet, but my skimmer on the very right hand side of my pond is an old bucket from a bucket truck that line-men used to use. I have 4 filter mats in there as well, including three different colors of flat matala mat, black, green, and blue. Then the water is pumped out of the bottom of the bucket to the actual barrel filter, then back into the pond. So I have some mechanical and bio filtration going on in my skimmer before it even gets to the barrel. Do you think this is the case?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

So the question is, one barrel or two?????

Reaction score
My advise to you is to listen to everyone and then make an informed decision. I think one barrel might be pushing it a bit for your size pond, but there is a third option that has not been discussed,

Option C :D

You could have two dedicated single barrel skippy filters each with its own pump, giving your system some redundancy, should one pump fail or filter need to be serviced.

There are many means to achieve your goal, each with its own pro's and con's. Alot will have to do with your specific circumstances (space, $, etc) as to which would be best for you.

Reaction score
With that size pond, I think I would go with 2 personally. It's better to overfilter than underfilter. You could separate each one into independent components at nc0 suggests, but it's also really easy to tie 'em together too.

That black filter media looked like spring flo or bacti twist. That is very good stuff, and you should keep that in your new barrels too.

Are you just re-using your existing barrels? I looks like you'll be able to to do that easily and just put a bottom drain in.

You don't need to buy bulkheads, you can visit the conduit/electrical section of your Home Depot and buy a male and femal part where one is inside and the other is outside. Gray conduit has better threading than PVC and comes together tightly. Than slather PL roofing sealant all around.

Again, pond shops and the web sell bulkheads if you are interested in those.

Reaction score
I plan an taking out my old system. I am going to put bottom drains in both 55 gallon barrels. I am going to try and draw up what I plan to do. I will then scan it and post it here for your viewing. Thanks agian for all your help. I think I am going to tie the two barrels together.

Ask a Question