DIY filtration if you were to redo yours

Reaction score
So I have 2 barrels (30 and 55 gallon) and a 150 Rubbermaid trough
Pump is a Laguna 2900 also want to implement a 18w turbo twist UV. I want to have one be a mechanical and one bio. Any suggestions,

Pond is roughly 3000 gallons full sun

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just have my bog, if I redid, or rebuilt, would still just have my bog. Works great for me and my pond.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I just have a dinky little 435 gallon water feature where I have about a dozen comets right now, gonna add a dozen or more comets and rosey reds, but I need to do some more work on my bio-filters.

Fish population and feeding regiment will dictate what ya need for filtration. Fish do not grow according to the size of pond. Fish grow according to the water quality of their environment. Ya can keep a dozen good size koi in a 100 gallon aquarium if ya have an awesome bio-filter.

For a 3000 gallon pond, ugh ... assuming Dr. Johnson rule of thumb of 4inches per 10 gallons of water, you would have to have around 100 koi that were 12 inches each to have a heavy fish load in a pond that big. I kind of doubt you'll have that many fish in the pond. ;)

phillyofish, there are all sorts of implementations out there. I like the skippies and bogs here since they're easy and will likely do a well enough job for ya for the amount of fish you'll have in the pond.

I have been researching into the "Lexus Eezy-Breezy" . You could probably set this up with your 30 and 55 gallon barrel. I am not for sure which barrel ya would use for bio-filtering.

For the 150gallon Rubbermaid stock tank, ya could convert it into a bog or look into doing a gravel filter in it.

Ya could build yourself a lattice plant wall around the barrels and the stock tank. I would use a lattice with smaller diamonds so it is easier to shape around the barrels and put plants in there more dense.

Then then ya can have them waterfall back into a stream that leads to your pond or just directly into your pond.

If ya want to connect it all, then ya will need to figure out how you will gravity flow one to the next.

I am actually working on using a lattice plant wall and extra streams into the pond to incorporate my filters that are in a barrel. I am sitting my barrel around 15 feet away from my pond, having the outflow be a waterfall into a stream that leads to the pond. Barrel is going to be hidden in a lattice plant wall. I don't have a filter pit or a closet or anything to hide my filtration. I think this is gonna be neat once finished.

fishrich

Rich
Reaction score
pre filter everything with a screen filter/pond seive. I have one home made and a ultra sieze. The home made one takes out a small dust pan scoop of waise out a day from my pond 2,000 gal which would have otherwise gone into my other filters and sat there decomposing back into the water.
Whatever filter you make up- make it easy to clean out regular.

Reaction score
Second what Rich said. Sieve and easy to clean/self clean. I think I would try the trickle tower stuff that Waterbug advocates instead of the skippy style I built.

Ask a Question