sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got a new home owners insurance policy and I even had to add a clause to my policy because of the koi pond .I guess they are getting more careful these days as they wanted pics of everything and anything .So don't get a new homeowners policy .He even called the other day because he read up on ponds and wanted to make sure I did not bring my fish into an inddor basement pond .They ask questions about fish tanks also .I even got asked about the fact that my lawnmower was in the basement ,the only reason it was there is because I was bringing my potted plants in . have a seperate shed for my lawnmowers .he new policy is 566 dollars a year and I got auto insurance from them too .I guess with all the stuff going on they want to make sure all the bases are covered .Can't really blame them .Even around here insurance companies are sending out spot inspectors .I guess to much insurance fraud .I guess you have to expect everything these days from these companies .I had allstate cancel my auto not even sure why .I have never had an accident or a ticket .

Reaction score
No, not clearer water, cleaner water, I should of said "fresh" water. I like to wait until the last minute to bring them in, as they'll be in the basement long enough. Also, this year I left the netting up over the pond from fall (I use tree netting over pond to keep out fall leaves) and that seemed to keep out a little more stuff from blowing into the pond, the water was as clear at 4.5' depth as it was at 1'.

Reaction score
Here's a new video, I'm down to four koi due to their size. I also redid the filter, using a 5 gal. bucket, drilled holes all over the bottom and 1" up the sides of bottom, filled bucket (appx. 5-6" deep) with fine Scottch brite pads.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Fish look healthy and very pretty colors. Guess your setup is working cuz your water/fish looking good!

Reaction score
thanks, third winter now for tank and the seem to be ok, even grow a little. More importantly their healthy and ready to go early spring into pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Look at the sump pump tanks or vaults they are sturdy come in lots of sizes and are not expensive .About 26 dollars for the house ones and have lids and flat spots for tank adapters and ome even come with tank adapters now

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Look at the sump pump tanks or vaults they are sturdy come in lots of sizes and are not expensive .About 26 dollars for the house ones and have lids and flat spots for tank adapters and ome even come with tank adapters now

Where are you finding them for that price? I can;t seem to locate them for under $75.

Reaction score
So, I brought the koi in yesterday, outside water temp. was 40, pumped water into basement and transferred koi, took a couple hours, covered up the tank in basement to help keep water temp from warming up as slow as possible. They're pretty quiet today, got air stone running only. Also, transfered some media out of bio filter barrel and filled tank bio filter with pond water attached airstone but will not connect to filter and turn on pump until water warms up in a couple days. The water will naturally get to about 60, at that point lightly feed wheat germ for a couple weeks then wheat germ and fall/spring food mix, till spring.

As always questions and comments greatly appreciated!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh yeh I'm scared to death he may lick me :LOL:herschel and toby at there mom and dads home

Attachments

• thanks giving 2012 031.JPG
    thanks giving 2012 031.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 372
  • thanks giving 2012 028.JPG
    thanks giving 2012 028.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 352

Ask a Question