Multiple Indoor Pond Filter DIY

Reaction score
Hi, I have been trying to figure out a way to filter (3 to 5) 40 gallon totes using one 55 gallon barrel. i just purchased a calpump pwm5200 for my outdoor pond. so i now have my old pump (cant remember the brand but im pretty sure it is a 900 gph) for this application. anyone have a better way of doing this with what i have? Thank you for any help/

Attachments

• Pond filter.JPG
    Pond filter.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 583

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
manual fish waste extraction from the second 2 tubs will be neccessary. why not use a baby pool? you can gewt a 6' round 250 gallon pool thats fish safe for under $10.00 at meijers, walmart etc... i am assuming this is to winter your fish indoors in the basement or wherever?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have cascaded totes using shower drains and each one higher than the one below it. Eventually the water gets to a sump where you pump it back up to the uppermost one.

The problem is, you still get debries accumulating in the bottom of the totes. You have to vacuum that up periodically.

See my new thread of DIY Power pond vacuum. You will need something like this.

Reaction score
ahh well that cuts my other plan out and boy am i glad i didnt build the stand for bottom drains. it looks like no matter which way i go, i will have to clean the gunk out the bottom. any filtering suggestion for 5 totes?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Muddywater, your drawing is simular to what I ended up building for my 365 gallon pond. My arrangement is all different, but the quite the same idea. The only exception is that I don't have the first container in you drawing. The second container is where I have my skimmer / pre-filter, and water pump. The water is pumped up from there, and it's down hill to the boi-filter from there. So far, it all works for me, and the pond and fish are healthy and happy.

Ask a Question