DIY Pond Heater?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone made a DIY "pass through" pond heater? I saw a You Tube video of a guy who created one using a length of piping, an electric heating element, automatic thermostat and low GPH pump. He was living in the midwest somewhere and was able to keep his temps just over 50° or under 40°. The concept seems relatively easy.

The reason I am contemplating this idea is because my pond is rather small (17' boat), poorly insulated on exposed sides. I have a 4 aerators running and the pond has frozen over during a recent cold snap (I am in PA).

Thoughts?

20171012_141338_1507833420890_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Love the boat idea
It looks so cool. My diy device for winter just keeps a hole in the ice it doesn't heat the water at all

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
To me a pond heater you buy is easier .I just wish I did not have such bad luck this year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
Yup...I made this one out of a salvaged heat unit from a hot tub / spa. I used it in my 400 gal.pond when I had Plecos. I ran it continuous from a 'side arm' connection from my pump manifold and just checked the temp daily when we fed them in the AM shutting it off manually when the cold spell passed.

Pics:

IMG_0842.JPG
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_0844.JPG
IMG_0845.JPG

Hope this is helpful...

George

Ask a Question