Do fish eat eggs and fry?

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am seeing so much fry in my pond that I am nervous I will end up with way more fish than is desired. I read that gosh eat their eggs, but do they also eat their fry? I have rosey red minnows, shubunkin and comet goldfish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How big is your pond? Yes, some fish will eat eggs, and maybe the smallest of fry. Nature will tend to even things out, but if yours is a smaller pond, it can easily become overpopulated (especially with rosy reds). You might want to consider removing excess fry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I finally have some experience to share in this department...I have shubunkins...they have spawned MANY times in the past 8 months...They have not eaten any fry...I have reduced their food and taken away most of the hogwort that the fry hide in...I hate to do this but it beats having to try and rehome them. I also have added bullfrog tadpoles in hopes that at least one will stay awhile and eat any future fry...I was tempted to put a bluegill in at one point but that would have to be the last resort...

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What everyone said some will eat their fry, but definitely their eggs. I recently added (end of last year) some blue spot and black banded sunfish to the pond, which only get about 3” adult size, so hoping they will help eating koi, orfe and goldfish fry. Figure they can’t hurt anything.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How big is your pond? Yes, some fish will eat eggs, and maybe the smallest of fry. Nature will tend to even things out, but if yours is a smaller pond, it can easily become overpopulated (especially with rosy reds). You might want to consider removing excess fry.
My pond is pretty good sized - not sure. It measures about 35 or 40 feet by 25 feet. I have a very low fish load at this point, but that is how I would prefer it to stay. :) I just added fish last spring, started with 24 goldfish, ended up with 19 this year. They did reproduce, but had a predator visit a couple of times. Now the rose red minnows, I started with seven and I probably have 25-30 now. I sure love those rosies!

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I finally have some experience to share in this department...I have shubunkins...they have spawned MANY times in the past 8 months...They have not eaten any fry...I have reduced their food and taken away most of the hogwort that the fry hide in...I hate to do this but it beats having to try and rehome them. I also have added bullfrog tadpoles in hopes that at least one will stay awhile and eat any future fry...I was tempted to put a bluegill in at one point but that would have to be the last resort...
Oh well I am noticing that my hogwort has grown like bananas - maybe I should remove some of it!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
What everyone said some will eat their fry, but definitely their eggs. I recently added (end of last year) some blue spot and black banded sunfish to the pond, which only get about 3” adult size, so hoping they will help eating koi, orfe and goldfish fry. Figure they can’t hurt anything.
This is good to know jhn...I didn't know there were miniature sunfish! Please keep us posted as to whether or not they keep your fry in check!

Ask a Question