do i leave frog spawn in the pond or move it ?

Reaction score
yes it is just a common frog, the mother is still in the pond, i see her all the time, so i think i may just leave them, if it is a problem i will know for next year, hey ive just found a magnified pic of a common frog tadpole head ! ugly little bugger !!
C0044970-Common_frog_tadpole_head-SPL.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I thought that was poo when I first saw it,lol! Only a face a mother could love :luxlove:

Reaction score
well i went out to the pond today and had a look at the frog spawn to see it had tripled in size !!! and there were the offending frogs enthralled in the grips of passion laying more!! i say GRIPS of passion as it was his front legs gripping her neck and he wouldnt let go ! i decided to catch the pair of frogs and half the spawn and take it to the wild pond over the field (i dont mind having a few swiming about bit i dont want tens of thousands of them) i scooped them out with the net and he didnt let go i placed them in a bucket of water and carried them to the pond and when we got there he was still holding on, making sure she didnt get away ! mirka says it reminded her of me cheeky git lol !

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing mogsie, you hang on like there is no tomorrow also!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Mogsie, you had me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: there. I figure frog eggs are free food for the fish. :) But, if those frogs are the loud type, Mirka will be very :luxlove: to know you took the bulk of them far away. :razz:

Reaction score
ah me and mirka dont mind the noise they make, we both love wildlife, their was a male frog back at the pond last night doing his mating calls, just dont want overrun with them, incase the fish dont eat that many !!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had thousands of frog eggs, tads, but did not get overrun at all. They either got eaten, died off, grew and hopped away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Cool! I was digging yesterday, came across the occasional grub and tons of worms. I threw in a few of them to see if anyone was hungry. Typically, the koi were the only ones interested in them, but they snatched them up! Now I'm wondering if that would have hurt them, since the water temp yesterday was still at 48. I didn't feed too many, but the same 4 or 5 fish were always the ones to eat. A couple of the goldfish went after smaller worm pieces, I guess, too. Will that be ok, since it is "natural" food, or should I refrain from feeding today, since still too cold?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't think it really matters that much as I see worms in my pond all winter that have fallen in and I'm sure the fish eat them eventually if they want to. Nothing you can do about that. Maybe if you put a ton in there and they ate too much it might hurt them but an occasional I don't think will hurt.

Ask a Question