Do I need a wetland filter for an 15' by 11' pond with 20 ft stream

Reaction score
Country
United States
nope but its good stuff , and my price was right " free"

you tube aquascape, team aquascape, modern design aquascape, oz pond , on you tube is where to start the order i listed is reverse of where to start oz will talk about the nitrification of cycling a pond. don't get me wrong they all do but oz is more of a i have no idea what i'm doing , a great place to get your feet wet . modern design has the parts broken down so you can make educated decisions as how to put your set up together right the first time. The aquascapes for the fine tuning and how to really make your project successful and have it a step above the rest.

and for lessons learned i put this together it has two parts first is just what my set up has and what worked and what i'd like to change https://www.gardenpondforum.com/showcase/12-000-gallon-koi-pond-full-build.141/
Thankyou for those recommendations. I have been watching them all. I like John Adams from modern design. He has replied to a few of my emails. Helped me more than the Aquascape chat / advice feature they have on their site. They keep pointing me toward certified Aquascape contractors. I feel bad calling on them, when, I'm looking to do it myself. Doesn't seem right to me, to sort of say " hey, I appreciate all your years experience doing ponds, and your advice means a lot. Here's my question, and by the way, you're not gonna make one single dollar from me " ha. I'm almost outta work for the week. I'll check out that link when I get home. Raining today, so a good day for indoor research. Take care. Derek.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting... I don't think you could ever "overkill" a project with a bog filter. There's literally no downside.

Can't wait to see what you've got going on!
I know. you see those videos on YouTube where they say to use underlayment on top of the liner when installing aquablocks. They say, it's. " cheap insurance " on preventing puncture holes in the liner. I would think that a wetland may be overkill, not cheap, but great insurance. In case my 2500 biofalls doesn't quite carry the day on my feature. I'm gonna take some pics and maybe video tomorrow. Raining today.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yup my cistern is FULLLLL... WATCH THE VIDEOS get a overall plan in mind put to to paper then throw it at us. we know we AINT GETTIN PAID yet we keep coming back for more . i think in short we all enjoyed building our own ponds so much that we get to keep building through you now AND ITS FREE we don't spend anything or feel the strained back YOU DO.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And you never know what the end result will be. I wasn't going to say anything but Greg Whitstock did on his site last night. He's going to be coming to check out my pond, and add it to his list of vlogs in JULY . Very Humbled

Reaction score
Country
United States
And you never know what the end result will be. I wasn't going to say anything but Greg Whitstock did on his site last night. He's going to be coming to check out my pond, and add it to his list of vlogs in JULY . Very Humbled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow!!! U really have a sweet pond going. From the pictures, I am not surprised, the pond guy is gonna come check out your scene. Is he gonna bring a cac with him?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
cac ? certified Aquascape contractor ? why would he bring a crew ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, certified Aquascape contractor. I have never seen him go out alone on YouTube. I know u did your pond yourself, but whenever I see him, he has a contractor walking around with him from the local area, talking about the water feature.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He has but that is when he is visiting a pond that a cac actually built. I have seen many where he goes on his own to builds. Ones I can think of are a few that he built 20 years ago or more.
He just showed a couple from Hawaii.
Your right usually It is to go see work of his connections but he has been back to shack and Ohio rescue. They're out there.
I won't complain if Ed and Brian came out with him I've seen so many of the videos I feel like I have worked with them for years. And actually have using their tips and videos building my own.

Reaction score
Country
United States
He has but that is when he is visiting a pond that a cac actually built. I have seen many where he goes on his own to builds. Ones I can think of are a few that he built 20 years ago or more.
He just showed a couple from Hawaii.
Your right usually It is to go see work of his connections but he has been back to shack and Ohio rescue. They're out there.
I won't complain if Ed and Brian came out with him I've seen so many of the videos I feel like I have worked with them for years. And actually have using their tips and videos building my own.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just looked through the link u posted up of your water feature. That is one hell of a project, you have done. I have heard the word intake bay used before. What is meant by that? And also cistern? I have not heard that term used. I guess bog and wetland filter are interchangeable terms. Although I could be wrong there too. Ha. I wish I could have laid out bigger rocks. But, I would not have been able to rent a machine for much longer than a couple days. It seems as if a Small excavator is something you need to have in your toolbox. Something you can break out whenever needed. I muscled some big rocks into place by hand myself, but they look so small in comparison to your pond, or the ones on YouTube.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
having an intake bay in invaluable anywhere lots of leaves / seeds, debris is expected. even the biggest basket strainers of which i have / had a helix skimmer. This had the three basket tall strainer that got plugged up with leaves in the blink of an eye. Then i found the intake bay and in usual form i tweaked the intake but also used the negative edge together. Works like a charm..... Here's a video i did the other day and a second video from last fall

Below in my showcase link if you scroll threw the headings you'll find cistern . its just a large underground space to hold water so you don't rely on city or well water my cistern is 3000 gallons and the water in the pond never fluctuates. the water in the cistern goes up and down.

I had to rent all the equipment i didn't have Steve from blues clues loan me BARNEY THE PURPLE EXCAVATOR for two years. i had to rent all my equipment. i was not so lucky thank god or i'd have no land left it would all be water.

HAVE YOU POSTED ANY PICTURES OF YOUR PROJECT?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
having an intake bay in invaluable anywhere lots of leaves / seeds, debris is expected. even the biggest basket strainers of which i have / had a helix skimmer. This had the three basket tall strainer that got plugged up with leaves in the blink of an eye. Then i found the intake bay and in usual form i tweaked the intake but also used the negative edge together. Works like a charm..... Here's a video i did the other day and a second video from last fall

Below in my showcase link if you scroll threw the headings you'll find cistern . its just a large underground space to hold water so you don't rely on city or well water my cistern is 3000 gallons and the water in the pond never fluctuates. the water in the cistern goes up and down.

I had to rent all the equipment i didn't have Steve from blues clues loan me BARNEY THE PURPLE EXCAVATOR for two years. i had to rent all my equipment. i was not so lucky thank god or i'd have no land left it would all be water.

Reaction score
Country
United States

I'll have to look at your entire piece that u have written out. I was going through it word for word last night, not knowing how detailed it was. Then started skipping around a bit. But, u have a beautiful water feature going there. I'll take my time looking at it all. It's easy to see how the pond guy would want to see it himself. How long did it take you to put it all together? When I think about how much time I have into my project, it seems overwhelming to me, to even try doing something like u have. I, essentially have an Aquascape medium sized pond kit, with a medium sized stream, and I'm at about 5 months so far doing it. And, it's not done yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I built it in stages but even then I was traveling for a living and was only home 2 days a month so over the last 5 years this spring being the start of 6. And I have been busy since spring. Built a stone wall along side the bog as it's 8 feet high at least . But the walls only 4 foot high then the upper wall I faced with rock drilling through the rock and tapcons fastening it to the wall.
Walkways up to the stream new plantings . Dead tree sculpture. All kinds of crazy stuff.

Ask a Question