Need advice and therapy from my pond peeps!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey all! I would love to get some input from you on something.
My parents are in their 80s and live 11 hours away. My Dad is an avid gardener and loves his yard. He is creative and needs to have a project at all times. His body isn't cooperating with his creative urges, so he could really use the help.
He loves my pond and got bitten by the water feature/pond bug. Last summer, we drove up to see them and he had some materials for a pond. Not ideal materials - and I knew it at the time. But he's on a fixed income and we only had three days to be there. It all started with a cool dragon fountain. That is where the waterfall starts from. My whole family worked super hard to put in a little pond for him and it ended up looking pretty cool, considering. We worked 8 hour days in scorching heat, alternating with torrential rains. He had a pre-formed plastic pond, some scraps of liner, gravel, and some very interesting rocks (but the rocks were like Swiss cheese -- full of interesting holes - but not good for directing water flow.) We needed to use what he had there - no time to order anything different and budget, of course, was an issue.
But the pond leaks. The preform settled down at the back end under where the water flows in from the fountain above. He is having to carry buckets of water out every day, just to keep his iris roots covered.
I was upset about it -- hating that our best efforts weren't working and knowing we were unable to get there to fix it.
In a panic, I tried calling Aquascape to see about a pond contractor in their area. But that was silly. They are in the middle of nowhere and don't have money for that anyway.
Now - his creative juices are flowing again and he has decided to buy a big piece of liner and pull all the other stuff out. He will expand the hole a little bit and rework the waterfall. I think he will get some rocks better suited to having the water flow OVER instead of right through!
(Husband wants to get on the computer to do taxes, so I will cut this short here soon.)
Bottom line, he is going to redo it and he probably isn't physically cut out to do it. I don't think we can get up there to help this year.
He is currently planning on doing the same thing for filtration - just having the small pump in a mesh bag, with the water running up to the dragon fountain and spilling down over some rocks, into the pond, for aeration. (The pump is solar and only runs during the day. I know it isn't ideal. But running electrical out there opens up a whole other can of worms that he isn't physically geared for.)
My dilemma - a part of my brain wants to encourage him to do some sort of little bog filter. To "do it right" so it will function better. But other than the leak, the plants seemed to do really well and his tiny goldfish seemed happy.
I have an idea in my mind of what would be best. I know if he does something that ends up not working well, he will be disappointed (again.) But we live so far away, coming up to help with a big project like that isn't an option. I have an idea of what would work BEST but that involves more work than he can do and probably more expense than they can afford. If we can't come up to do it for him, I feel like I should just keep my mouth shut.
Just venting to my Pond People.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh I feel your pain! My mom isn't that far away - only 45 minutes - but we won't let her drive here anymore (she still terrorizes her small town with her driving - I get about 6 phone calls a year from concerned neighbors!), so every holiday or celebration means someone driving to get her and then taking her home... a 3 hour round trip for the driver. And she has to come and go on her schedule, not yours... it's frustrating. I want her to come but often just don't bring it up for the smaller celebrations because it's such a hassle. When she sold her house and moved into an apartment I BEGGED her to move closer to us for this very reason. She insisted on staying in the same town because her friends and her church are there. Well four years later most of the friends have died or moved and she got mad at the pastor and quit going to church! It's a daily frustration.

ANYWAY - where is your dad? Maybe someone here is close enough that we could come up with a plan to help! Or guide you to some helping hands close by. Our local gardening group would LOVE a project like this to help out with for example. Or we have a consortium of churches that does service work for seniors. Something like that just might be the ticket! You could guide from afar while someone else provides the labor!

And you know we're going to ask - any pictures???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
They are in rural mid-Illinois. Lisak1, you are so sweet, but they would be weirded out to have strangers around. I am hoping to talk to my brother and see if his kids might be available to help - but they are super busy and they are about 6 hours away.
My Dad loves the creative process and working outside - but his body isn't up to all of it anymore. Really, he wants to hear the sound of water and have his fun plants around the feature - with some water plants and a few teeny goldfish. If he isn't going to have electric running out there and is using a solar set up to move the water, he couldn't have a bog filter anyway. I think it is a matter of making the best decisions with the various limitations that exist.
Maybe I can get up there on my own at some point over the summer and get my nephews to come over a weekend. The distance just makes stuff hard!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry wrong direction for me to be able to help. wHEN I HIT THE LOTTERY YOUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED.
JUST FOR HA HAS how far from Kansas city Missouri are they . I just got a invite to go out there on buis

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here are a few pictures. Keep in mind, we were using a preformed pond and a cool fountain - but then a bunch of rocks that he got for free. None of these pictures really show it off good. After we left, he did a lot more work and planted a bunch of plants around it. The garden area is landscaped around it very beautifully now. It stinks that we were limited by the days that we had there and that the weather was so horrible. We could have done a better job if we'd had more time. He is going to pull it out and start over, using a big liner under it all. Even though it is a small area, it will be a very big, hard job.

Attachments

• Gpapond1.jpeg
    Gpapond1.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Gpapond2.jpeg
    Gpapond2.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Gpapond3.jpeg
    Gpapond3.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Really, I just wanted to vent the stress. The ideal scenario, in my mind, is to do an ecosystem pond of sorts - but we have neither the time nor the money. And truly, he wants to use his cool fountain and doesn't want to have electrical running out there all the time, so his little set up of daytime aeration with a lot of plants is probably fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I look at those pictures and see how many things should have been done differently - it is frustrating. But really, one day, we almost passed out from the heat and the next day, it poured down rain several times. We accomplished what we could - with what we had - in the time that we had. There was no time to tweak anything or redo it. And using liner scraps as a spillway was sort of doomed to fail. I knew it when we did it but there was no time to get anything else.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
just to keep his iris roots covered
But the pond leaks. The preform settled down at the back end
Some burlap will fix that drape it over the roots the burlap or and absorbing cloth if down into the water should keep the roots wet.

Why not use the preform as just support . if he got a small liner throw that in the preform overlapping the sides and lift the epdm from the falls place the new under it and fold the waterfall back over that ? he can work on finishing the edges a bit at a time. have gravel delivered by the depot and grease the kid to bring the bags where he needs it your talking 15 minutes worth of work.

by the way that appears to be weathered lime stone very cool stuff

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I don't know if I can explain it well, but the preform ended up sinking down at the back. I think the back end (under where the waterfall comes in) sunk down about 2 inches, so the water slowly seeps out there. Also, there are two separate scraps of liner under the dragon, which is way too heavy for one person to move. I think leaks happen there. The rocks are very cool - especially the ones in the landscaping. The same kind of rocks are in the waterfall, though and they are super porous. Something different would have been better there.
Again - just venting the frustration that we weren't able to do it right the first time and not easily able to get back and help fix it.
As Charlie Brown would say: Arrrggghhhh.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
adding a liner inside will not matter if theres a low edge just bring the liner up . think of the preform as a low dirt edge bring the liner up where its need to be and then back fill. preform in this case is a hard underlayment. not water proof as the edge is low and Dad should drill holes in to preform to prevent hippo.
It looks like the gravel and such will be the hard part pulling that back.
I can see the liner under the waterfall if he could get dirt or rocks under that edge make the water direct toward the center of the stream may solve that problem

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can see he’s a gardener! He just needs a few
strong hands to do the heavy lifting. Church group, Boy Scouts, gardening club, helpful neighbors… you know I live in IL right? We Midwesterner’s love to pitch in!

Ask a Question