Do we need a swing check valve?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Trying to describe to hubby the swing check valve. He’s not sure we need one.

Skimmer is inside the liner if that matters.

1) do we need it?
2) can we put it outside the skimmer box or should it be inside?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not knowing how your pond is set up, that question can't be answered truthfully.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
check valves are in two main types one has a hinge on one side of a flap inside the pipe as the water pump shuts off the flap has a spring that pushes it to the closed position. when the power turns on the flow of the water pushes and against the flap and the check valve swings open. wala swing check valve.

the other popular type is a circle with a spring and a rod in the center as the power is on it pushes the circle to the open position . and when power is lost the spring pushes the circle down and closes off the flow

Reaction score
Country
United States
When do you need them/what’s the point?

We have an in-liner ecopro prelude skimmer with an 1800 gph mag pump. Nit sure what other factors matter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
is your bog or waterfall higher than your pond.
is the pipe always in the water or does the pipe sit above the water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if you have a small feature then check valves maybe over kill . if your waterfall was to empty out into the pond would it over flow or is there enough carbon to bring back.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm not sure how your waterfall is, but my waterfall has a bio-falls at the top. During the season the bio-falls collects a lot of sediment. I need the check valve so when the power goes off, the water (and any sediment) from the bio-falls does not flow back into the pond. I also don't want the bio-falls to dry out because I don't want to lose the good bacteria that has been established in it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ahhh this helps. I don’t have a filter in my waterfall but I do have one about level with the pump btw the waterfall and pump. I’m thinking we don’t need one.

Ask a Question