Do skimmers need the weir door? anyone try an eco-series inside the liner one, like prelude or melody?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My liner on a very old water feature fell apart, so we are using this chance to dig deeper and update the pond. It was built without any skimmer or filter originally, and collects way too many leaves.

So I want to use this chance to install a skimmer. Space outside the water feature is extremely limited and it's a smallish pond (8 ft diameter, going to 30 inches max for depth, it was 18 inches deep all across before).

I don't want a fish killing skimmer. THe easypro inside the liner skimmers (prelude or melody) seem like the best bet. I cant tell if they have a weir door hto.

Is a weir door necessary? I see several options without it (i.e helix).

anyone tried the prelude or melody?

there's no space to do a negative edge or bog filter --\

I wish I could do a helix but we can't see anyway to make that work - plus it seems overkill for my little pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I uses an Oase Swim Skim (I think that’s what it’s called). It’s a floating skimmer and is great for smaller ponds. Right now I have it a 10’ diameter “pond.” And yes, the weir door is important for the skimmer to function properly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
also: one goal of having a skimmer is to protect the pump, which gets clogged up with mud and debris so fast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Interesting topic...I have had two skimmers in Virginia and now I have one here in Florida (Aquascape) I choose to lay a flat rock on my weir door keeping it open so that the tadpoles and small fish can swim back out. It has not been a problem that I can see. I did the same in Virginia without a problem...I have not had a dead frog, tadpole or fish since I started doing it....As to whether a weir door is necessary with whatever skimmer you purchase I cannot say...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
helix skimmers do not have a weir door at all

Reaction score
Yes they need a door. Here is a video that shows why. As far as killing fish I have never had one killed but have caught frogs in the skimmer. Some skimmers have a mesh in front of the weir.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Interesting video, thanks for posting it...I still have good flow because I don't take the door off...I just put a rock on it and it is the perfect situation for me since I cannot stand to see fish, frogs and tads caught in the basket and beyond...It definitely slows down the skimmer inflow a little bit but I don't have any leaves this time of year...when the tads are bigger and less likely to get caught up in the flow I will take the rock off...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting topic...I have had two skimmers in Virginia and now I have one here in Florida (Aquascape) I choose to lay a flat rock on my weir door keeping it open so that the tadpoles and small fish can swim back out. It has not been a problem that I can see. I did the same in Virginia without a problem...I have not had a dead frog, tadpole or fish since I started doing it....As to whether a weir door is necessary with whatever skimmer you purchase I cannot say...
I like this and I do the same during certain times of the year.

The skimmer and pump will draw the same amount of water through your system regardless of whether or not the weir door is installed.
If the weir is in place, the skimmer will draw water from the top of the pond, thus skimming debris from the top of the pond. This is the benefit of a skimmer with a weir.

If you remove the weir or in this case weight it down by placing a rock on it, the skimmer will draw water from below the surface to the pump. This allows fish and other aquatic life to swim into the skimmer and back out, but it will not draw floating debris as effectively into the skimmer basket.

I use a rock on my weir door when the pond has tadpoles and remove the rock to allow better skimming action when trees are dropping seeds in the spring and leaves in the fall. I, also, keep the weir up over the winter.

Tim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I like this and I do the same during certain times of the year.

The skimmer and pump will draw the same amount of water through your system regardless of whether or not the weir door is installed.
If the weir is in place, the skimmer will draw water from the top of the pond, thus skimming debris from the top of the pond. This is the benefit of a skimmer with a weir.

If you remove the weir or in this case weight it down by placing a rock on it, the skimmer will draw water from below the surface to the pump. This allows fish and other aquatic life to swim into the skimmer and back out, but it will not draw floating debris as effectively into the skimmer basket.

I use a rock on my weir door when the pond has tadpoles and remove the rock to allow better skimming action when trees are dropping seeds in the spring and leaves in the fall. I, also, keep the weir up over the winter.

Tim
This is a great explanation Tim…I took my rock off the weir today since I have no new babies but I stay vigilant:)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just bought a floating weir and basket off Amazon, it's the same thing as in the helix just made for pools. Also a plastic garbage can and a sheet of PVC plastic.

Plan is cut to fit the PVC about 10" from the top of garbage can to make a flange, cut a door in the top of the can about 9" deep 6" wide and cut a hole for the basket in the flange.

Then put my submersible pump on the bottom of the can with the flange/weir strainer above that (bulkhead out of the cans side for the hose or maybe just through the flange).

Then bury the thing about 2" proud of the water level and seal the liner around the opening. Hopefully it'll be fish safe and I'll have about 8" of evaporation before the pump would suck dry (would never happen around here). Helix for 120$ instead of $1000... Hopefully, I'll let ya know after it's up and running lol.

I don't know why you couldn't try something similar, the basket is about 7" x 7" and you just need space for the pump behind or below and a flange. I bet you could make it pretty compact.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm working on it! I just received the basket today. Plans have changed though, my pump is only 600 gph so I want to fully seal the basket in so water has no way to go but through it (as opposed to around the sides of the flange in the can). So I'm thinking a rubbermaid.. once I'm done I'll post it in a new thread with some pics. Sorry that description was terrible.

Ask a Question