Pond Pumps KEEP Dying!!!

David Demarest

Amateur Enthusiast (is that a thing?)
Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpg
We had a koi pond dug out about ten years ago. It’s been an amazing addition to our yard, but we can’t seem to find a pump that survives more than a year or so. We’ve got about three koi (about 14-16” each), and a catfish (16-18”). The pond is a kidney shape, about 8’x9’. We live in northern New Jersey, so we get four distinct seasons. The first pump gave us 3-4 good years, but since then, their life cycles seem to get shorter and shorter. The past two have only lasted 6-8 months. The one that we have in there right now is a Tsurumi 50PN2.4S, but we’ve tried all different models. When the pond was initially built, it had a Tsurumi in it. They all tend to die during the winter or in the early spring, but we’ve had them die in the summer and fall, as well. This one sounds like the impeller is seized up, but I can’t tell. It sounds like there’s electrical current running to it, but that’s it.

Is this something we’re doomed to repeat, over and over each year? If so, can you take a stab at what you think is causing the issue? The pond is taken care of well and is cleaned fairly regularly. During the winters, we tend to throw in a de-icer and run the waterfall throughout the season. They’ve also tripped our GFI in the past as well! I’ve attached a picture of the pond, as well as a shot of the pump compartment. As you can see, some algae is already starting to build up.

Please help in any way you can, whether it’s advice, your experiences, or something else.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 218
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The picture of the pump intake on left level with the pond and pump on right is out take?

how high are you pumping if that's the case. ( height and length from pump to out)head pressure can be the problem more head height the higher you need the pump rating

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I assume you are maintaining the pumps, pulling them out for cleaning every month or so? Same with the masala pad? Looks like you have the same skimmer that I do (except I have brushes).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gee we have two pumps that have run for 6 years - one constantly, one from April through October - with no trouble. And we don't clean ours every month - in fact, we only clean them about once a year. You've got something weird going on. They aren't cheap pumps so it shouldn't be a quality issue. The fact that they are tripping the GFI is concerning - are you sure the outlet is wired properly? Could you be getting power surges that are killing the pump? Just tossing some ideas out there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Maybe just bad pumps . My initial pump died the beginning of the second season . It was under warranty and the manufacturer replaced it. 5 years later still running 24 / 7 year round. I do pull my pumps for maintenance based on the waterfall flow . Usually 2-3 times a year. AS Lisak1 mentioned the GFI tripping is a concern. If you are sure it's not a wiring issue at the GFI then you have a faulty pump. The brand I use is Danner or Pondmaster . They have a 3 year warranty . The customer service was great when I had the problem. Currently I have two running . With a waterfall make sure the head pressure is adequate and not forcing the pump to run near it's maximum capacity.

David Demarest

Reaction score
Country
United States
The picture of the pump intake on left level with the pond and pump on right is out take?

how high are you pumping if that's the case. ( height and length from pump to out)head pressure can be the problem more head height the higher you need the pump rating

Regarding intake/output, the intake is on the bottom of the pump and the output is the pipe you can see. I’m not sure what dimensions you’re asking for, but the intake and output are right next to each other on the one pump.

Maybe just bad pumps . My initial pump died the beginning of the second season . It was under warranty and the manufacturer replaced it. 5 years later still running 24 / 7 year round. I do pull my pumps for maintenance based on the waterfall flow . Usually 2-3 times a year. AS Lisak1 mentioned the GFI tripping is a concern. If you are sure it's not a wiring issue at the GFI then you have a faulty pump. The brand I use is Danner or Pondmaster . They have a 3 year warranty . The customer service was great when I had the problem. Currently I have two running . With a waterfall make sure the head pressure is adequate and not forcing the pump to run near it's maximum capacity.

How do you calculate the required head pressure?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
How do you calculate the required head pressure?
Head pressure is determined by pipe size, length of pipes , any bends like 90 degrees creates more head pressure than a 45 degree bend and the height the pump has to push the water. Most pumps will give you the amount of flow at a given height from a minimum to maximum either on the box or with the manual . Another factor that will decrease the head pressure is a dirty filter. I don't know the exact calculations to figure it all but you can try a search on this site or on Google.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Looking at the picture of the pond, I don't see an issue with head pressure. Is it possible the circuit the pump is plugged into is being overloaded?

David Demarest

Reaction score
Country
United States
Such a pretty spot for a pond!

Thank you! We love it!

What other appliances are kicking in on that circuit

There’s nothing else on that circuit besides the pond. Our current pump (mentioned in the OP) has never tripped the breaker. I apologize, I was misinformed. Algae is starting to form, so we have to order a new pump ASAP. Does anyone have a similar size pond or use a similar pump, and can make a recommendation?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm using an Atlantic Tidal Wave 3 series pump (I think, whatever is latest) which I choose based on the efficiency. I think mine is a TT6000, but my pond is about twice as big as yours, so that might be overkill. They make all different sizes. I like it, but I can't say it's better than something else.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gee, my pond is around 3,000 gallons. I have a pump from Home Depot (whatever “pond” brand it is that they carry). It’s been running non-stop for 6 years. Sounds like you have an electrical issue — or just very bad luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
My in-line pump has been going for a least 9 years , the only time it stops is if a piece of K1 filter medium gets in their and stops the impellor .
I've seen it red hot because of this jamming before now,
All we do we switch it off remove the offending piece of K1 let it cool for a few hours and it bursts back into life every time without fail when we switch it back on

Dave 54

Ask a Question