Do you keep your bog flowing during freezing winter conditions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fear in shutting anything down is this Stagnant water KILLS , ammonia and hydrogen sulfide can develop very very qickly. my skimmer line is deep underground but it does come to the surface if the water is flowing quickly there should be no issues. it's like a forced hot water pipe in your house so long as the water is circulating there's no issue loose your power for a few hours and trouble begins.[

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bucket submerged with a small pump covered with lava rock that stays all year. The bucket has a small PVC pipe ending just below the water surface and creates a fountain. The bucket, aerator and deicer help the bad gases escape when it ices over.
I have a 5 gallon bucket stuffed with matala pads, a tiny pump (200 or so gph) that pumps water to right below the surface. It leaves a small area ice free and give the birds a drinking spot. I put that in the shallow end of my pond and the pond breather in the deep end.
My pump is external it gets pulled and put to bed for the winter.

Ask a Question