Do you "showroom" shop then buy online?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
For the expensive product... unfortunately online always has better prices. It's hard to compete with amazon when a lot of their prices are low and their delivery is free for prime. You're almost better off putting most of your products online so others can see them. I'm talking about pumps, filters etc.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
For the expensive product... unfortunately online always has better prices. It's hard to compete with amazon when a lot of their prices are low and their delivery is free for prime. You're almost better off putting most of your products online so others can see them. I'm talking about pumps, filters etc.

Be careful with Prime. Some manufacturers mark up the cost of the product to cover the "free" prime shipping. Whenever I find something I want on Amazon, I usually check a few other sources; most times Amazon Prime is the best price, but I have found instances where another site WITH shipping is cheaper than Amazon Prime. What I usually do is google the item and then click on "Shopping" at the top to check a few other places.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't "showroom" in the sense of going somewhere explicitly to check something out and then buying online. But I do wander through (to take and example) the pond section of various garden places around here. I'll buy things that make sense, but price is important. Just to give two examples. When I see previous generation Laguna pumps in faded boxes marked at 50% over the online price of the current ones, I'm not going to buy. When I see water plants in 4" pots (the small ones) at $14/each, no, I'm not going to buy that.

This summer I've been going to a lot of places to take a look at fish. But I've got enough now that I'm looking for something that stands out, so most times I leave empty handed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The only successful response a brick and mortar store has that I have seen work is to offer price matching and t emphasize service.
It may negatively affect profits, but that's today's reality.
If the price matching results in selling for below cost, then perhaps a discussion with the supplier is in order.
Make sure the potential customer considers shipping delays/costs when purchasing online and the difficulties of dealing with returns and warranties.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Many companies set MSRP and MAP pricing for their retailers . Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price and Minimum Advertised Price. Many online retailers can sell at the MAP price and still make a handsome profit because of the low overhead. It is tough for a B&M place to sell at the MAP price because of their overhead...unless they are moving a ton of products.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Be careful with Prime. Some manufacturers mark up the cost of the product to cover the "free" prime shipping. Whenever I find something I want on Amazon, I usually check a few other sources; most times Amazon Prime is the best price, but I have found instances where another site WITH shipping is cheaper than Amazon Prime. What I usually do is google the item and then click on "Shopping" at the top to check a few other places.
You have to be very careful with Prime...... I will take our coffee for example...... They will sell it cheaper than we can buy it Sam's..... After a couple of times, they will raise the price, and all the other vendors that sell the same thing will go up the same..... So we go to Sam's. After a few weeks amazing the price goes down again..... What they are banking on is that people will get into the habit of buying and not check the price.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We cross check prices amazon vs costco, vs ebay vs whomever else. Esp if it an expensive item.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've never 'showroom' shopped because when I go shopping, I NEED something right then and there and get it--IF the quality and price are what I'm looking for. Now, I've gone more and more to online shopping because of free shipping and much greater selection. I can waste less time NOT driving and finding out a place doesn't have what I need, which means a trip to another store, then if I find it online and just buy it. This happened twice this summer, reminding me exactly why I don't buy from the B&M stores much anymore. Unless I need it yesterday, OR the product can be bought 'on my way home'. If they don't have what I need once, odds are I'll just go online the next time.

Too, I used to work in a hardware store when young and I was TRAINED in the department. Now, I'm lucky if the salesperson I ask even KNOWS where the item I want is. Many times I'm told they don't carry said product, then I go looking and find it, so on my way to the checkout, I tell them where the product was found. Sad, really. But imo, most people are more like sheep when it comes to buying products and less likely to educate themselves. I blame advertising and deterioration of effort for this...too, most are more likely now to hire someone to do something they could do themselves. I was raised in a different era though and it shows...

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8a 10°F to 15°F
Country
United States
For those of you who purchase pond and water garden products online, can you share a bit about your experience in this regard? Preferred vendors, customer service experience, ease of doing business with etc?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This summer I've been going to a lot of places to take a look at fish. But I've got enough now that I'm looking for something that stands out, so most times I leave empty handed.
Me too!
I can't seem to find a nice looking fish in stores, and even if I did find one, it'd be priced so ridiculously high I wouldn't want it anyway

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For those of you who purchase pond and water garden products online, can you share a bit about your experience in this regard? Preferred vendors, customer service experience, ease of doing business with etc?

I love to buy fish from Next Day Koi, they are the closest thing to shopping at a local store!
They are fast in responding to whatever question I might have. The images they provide of each fish, show the fish in all it's sides and if I decide to buy, I can have it in my pond in 48 hours with a 14 days money back guarantee, and shipping is always the same...and their prices are good, when you buy small size fish, they grow so fast!

Would I go back shopping at a local store if it had all of the above, plus no shipping? I doubt it! I spend a lot of time lurking online before making my purchase, I could never do that at a store!
I think all retailers should have an online site for those who prefer shopping online

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
For online, I use Dr. Foster & Smith and Webb's, which is local for me and provides great customer service. I went to my nearest pond shop (there are two landscaping places with large water feature sections very close by) when I was doing my first build and got tons and tons of advice and guidance from them. I probably spent over $2000 in the process. They all know me by name and I'll always go there for plants and supplemental stuff. The other local pond place is bigger, with more selection, and it stays open longer--both in terms of hours of the day and the season, by staying open essentially year round--and they get a good bit of business from me that way alone.

But moving forward, the largest portion of my pond purchases will be annuals like some tropical lilies and water hyacinths, and that's about it. I spent way too much money on this pond and landscaping the last two years. Supplies like fish food and conditioners (i.e., pond prime), I'll get online moving forward. I've got most of my durable goods at this point. Big-ticket items are always much cheaper online. All things being equal, I will always choose the local place because they earned it. But when a pump costs $100 more, or fish food is double the price, I'll buy online.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry, but if you are visiting a B&M store with the intention to just shop elsewhere, it's kind of unfair to the business. It is considered especially in poor taste to gain extended professional knowledge from the store then use it online to purchase the same recommended items cheaper. I see this all the time in the bicycle business, where people go in to test ride a bike, spend an hour picking the saleperson's brain, then buy a bike online.

I'm not talking about the big box stores like Petsmart which already has an online presence and you are able to comparison shop against others from home. My experience with these stores have not be great and has actually been getting worse in the past few decades (labor market changes?). I've actually never been to a real fish pond store as I've never had the need to given the sage advice I've received here since joining a few months ago. However if I were to visit one locally and received the good service and advice from them, I would certain find a way to support them. There's just no way for them to compete with the online stores in pricing and stock, which is why most independent pet stores have closed in the last few years or moved to some remote parts of town.

To the OP, as already mentioned before, service is where you'll win and keep customers. Though not all customers will understand or follow this business model. Another option is to diversity, for example maybe offer free space to a farm stand and also have a tent themselves. Lastly, is differentiation, the moms and pops need create a business which does not need to compete with the onlines. Most of what I mentioned is MBA 101, I suggest your friends reach out to the local chamber of commerce and small business alliances for help as well. Good luck

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry, but if you are visiting a B&M store with the intention to just shop elsewhere, it's kind of unfair to the business. It is considered especially in poor taste to gain extended professional knowledge from the store then use it online to purchase the same recommended items cheaper. I see this all the time in the bicycle business, where people go in to test ride a bike, spend an hour picking the saleperson's brain, then buy a bike online.

I'm not talking about the big box stores like Petsmart which already has an online presence and you are able to comparison shop against others from home. My experience with these stores have not be great and has actually been getting worse in the past few decades (labor market changes?). I've actually never been to a real fish pond store as I've never had the need to given the sage advice I've received here since joining a few months ago. However if I were to visit one locally and received the good service and advice from them, I would certain find a way to support them. There's just no way for them to compete with the online stores in pricing and stock, which is why most independent pet stores have closed in the last few years or moved to some remote parts of town.

To the OP, as already mentioned before, service is where you'll win and keep customers. Though not all customers will understand or follow this business model. Another option is to diversity, for example maybe offer free space to a farm stand and also have a tent themselves. Lastly, is differentiation, the moms and pops need create a business which does not need to compete with the onlines. Most of what I mentioned is MBA 101, I suggest your friends reach out to the local chamber of commerce and small business alliances for help as well. Good luck
I'm not sure if this was a direct reply to me, but I did spend thousands of dollars at the pond shop that I go to most often. That could be why they all know my name. I just bought a second pump there, for example, and it was a little more expensive than it would have been if I bought it online. But I'm not going to spend a ton more for the same thing. I'm just at the point now of only needing to buy supplemental things. No more liner, piping, etc., for example.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this was a direct reply to me, but I did spend thousands of dollars at the pond shop that I go to most often. That could be why they all know my name. I just bought a second pump there, for example, and it was a little more expensive than it would have been if I bought it online. But I'm not going to spend a ton more for the same thing. I'm just at the point now of only needing to buy supplemental things. No more liner, piping, etc., for example.

apologies if that was implied, but not at all
I think being a savvy shopper makes great sense, but I know folks who always shop online after milking the salesman. The local businesses will survive by repeat customers like you and it doesn't mean you have to buy everything from them.

Here's an example, I have a fish problem, go into a local store for suggestions. Leave and buy online to save a few bucks. That just seems wrong in my book.

btw: I love Webbs, they just need a better mobile site.. :)

Ask a Question