Does my koi have a disease?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I noticed today on the back of my koi that it appears as though he is peeling like a person would do after a sunburn on his back by his top fin, I have attached several pics, not the greatest but the best I could do for now. It is a koi that is about 18" long. His scales are very smooth where on the other two their scales are very easy to see, he almost looks smooth and has the entire time I have had him. It may not be anything at all but wanted someone else to take a look.

Thanks

Attachments

• P1020288.JPG
    P1020288.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 397
  • P1020289.JPG
    P1020289.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 378
  • P1020290.JPG
    P1020290.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 356

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This is a new one for me. When in doubt, I treat with a high level of salt for 10 minutes followed by antibiotics in a hospital tank.

Reaction score
I had a small scaleless koi recently that scraped himself on a plastic container. It caused a major scrape to the skin. As it healed it looked like it was forming some kind of transparent skin over the scrape. I assumed it was a scaless fish's type of scab. A week and a half later it started peeling off and looks remarkedly like your pics. Mine was just on the one side where it scraped. It looks like yours is on both sides.

I would suggest floowing DRDave's advise. What he is suggesting definitely would not hurt. I had mine in a small inside tank where I could watch him closely and monitor the water closely. This is your best to make sure it heals right.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Good news to report, my fish seems to have gotten better, still looks like he is peeling but all the redness is gone and looks the way he has for the last year. I ended up putting in some salt in the pond, I was unable to move him out of the pond since I was going on vacation for a week.

Thanks for all the advice.

Ask a Question