How can I ensure that my koi does not lose it's body shape

Reaction score
What kind of things should I do to make sure it dosent lose it body shape and get the charachteristic fat belly which is something I don't want to happen.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
feed good quality balanced food, limit treats, don't over feed, give plenty of exersise and keep your water quality in excellent condition.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Your body shape is genetic, fat bellies are over feed fish that have no where to swim. a full grown Koi needs 2500-3000 gallons of water to comfortably swim, A real Home for a school of big guys would need to be even larger. If you notice they swim in groups, A large group of Large Koi (over 24") need a LARGE area to swim to get exercise. That's a Big key into keep a koi's shape as far as obese goes. Loners get lazy and Fat. So If your considering growing BIG healthy Koi think BIG POND! 4 feet deep at minimal, 2500+ gallons highly recommended.

Reaction score
sounds like a good plan to me, im going to stick with maybe 3-4 for now and then i will expand the pond in a couple years, hopefully we can find a house that has a big enought yard to do a large 5000 gallon dream pond but for now my dreams are on hold until my wallet and yard permit it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, 5000 gallons does sound nice doesn't it? Don't get me started thinking cuz I've made up my mind I'm sticking w/ the size I've got. But my goldfish could really build up some speed in a big honker like that! And they would be muscle bound beauties even if they are only goldies :lol: You keep dreaming talal, you will have your dream pond someday I am sure of it :bowdown:

Reaction score
hahah j.w a beautiful lady such as yourself deserves to relax for a while, why not take a break and enjoy your pond. and thank you j.w i will keep on my dream until i can get a koi pond like no other. hopefully we will both get our dream ponds one day

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are too kind w/ your words talal and I'm not sure I will have a big pond like that but I'm sure you will. Mine is 2500 gallons so I'm half way there anyways. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you to build anything you choose :lol:
Your fish will be strong and streamlined if you treat them good and feed them right :bowdown:

Reaction score
oh j.w im just telling the truth, and hey you are as young as you wanna be and age is nothing but a number you must not forget that. and no i beleive you will get what you want, you are a strong and independent women and i know that your the type of person who can accomplish what you please when you put your mind to it and remember that death and life come as fast and as sneaky as ever so wether your young or old it won't matter everyone will die at some point and so don't forget to live your life to the fullest.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thank you talal and yes I am determined to get things done when I want to. I sometimes start on a project in the morning and don't eat all day until I am satisfied w/ what I have accomplished. I think I am somewhat obsessed at times. I wear myself out at times and my body feels the pain of age at times but my mind stays young at heart. I try not to worry about death as I have a future in Heaven w/ Christ and that is the most important thing for me to remember on this earth and to try to be kind here and help others while I'm here. Sometimes I fail but He lifts me up and is always their to guide me back on track.

Reaction score
If your Koi is a female, it may need a gender change operation to maintain the torpedo like shape :bowdown:
Im gonna try and avoid sexist jokes (must resist), but female Kois become more "plumb" than male ones as they grow older.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
watch the videos i posted in the " raising big koi" he talks about color and body shape...you may get your answer.its in this forum section

Reaction score
thanks everyone and j.w that should be all of our final mission to be up in heaven with jesus and to make sure that we do everything we can to be good people and that is exactly the way to think about it

Reaction score
vertigo72 said:
If your Koi is a female, it may need a gender change operation to maintain the torpedo like shape :rolleyes:
Im gonna try and avoid sexist jokes (must resist), but female Kois become more "plumb" than male ones as they grow older.

hahahah maybe i gotta take it to california im sure many of the doctors there are used to it loool

Ask a Question