drcase's gravity feed filter

Reaction score
I'm wondering if this will work for me. I understand the all the plumbing so thats not a problem. Also what kind of pump to pump that far from the pond,will a submersable work? I think you have to add 1ft of head for every 10ft of horizontal run right? The only other solution I have to lower my waterfall is to half bury the drum but that will limit the flush effect to have to pipe the valve up out of the ground. Any thoughts

pros.
1) I can make my waterfall alot lower
2) I can hide the drum in my shed about 15 ft away

cons.
1) Not sure if it will work because of our winters here

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Did this start in another thread? I feel there is something missing here. I am struggling with why you think you need to bury your bio filter barrel. I use a Beckett 1150 submersible pump at the bottom of my deep pond and it moves the water through 20' of flex line up almost 6' from the bottom of the pond with no problems.

Reaction score
Not really worried about the pump just the looks of a 4ft high waterfall in a huge flat yard. If i do the gravity feed i can hide the filter but i'm worried about the pipes freezing i the winter time. it would be hard to blow the water out of a 2 inch pipe to getit ready for winter.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The only place you need a 2" pipe is the ball valve at the bottom of your bio filter. It only has water in it when opened to flush.
I don't think you are going to need 2" for less than 15,000 GPH pump.

The flex lines from you submersible might be able to withstand the freezing without bursting, mine are 1". If the water is running all year long, will it still freeze up? I'm in a warmer climate and lack the experience of a cold weather pond.

Reaction score
i think your not getting what i'm trying to say. The 2 inch line would be the return, since its gravity back to the pond it would have to be something big. Not worried about getting the water outta the smaller supply line for the winter.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum...You can make your fall any height you want,,your filter outlet needs to be a few inches higher...My filters are almost 40 ft from my waterfall, and i use 2" pipe to keep up with the presured in comming water,,I slope my 2" pipe back to my filter and have a drain plug so if it gets to cold ,i can remove the plug and drain the line...It could slope to the pond and have a plug their , you just need to be able to drain it if it gets to cold

Reaction score
You could try a less taller oblong container. That way your height is lower, but your volume would still be the same.

No burying required and you could still add your drain valve.

Ask a Question