Gravity flow for a UV light

Reaction score
Well I have finally thrown in the towel in the green algae fight and ordered a UV light last week. It should be here next week (apparently it's coming by pony express).

I was trying to figure out my options for how to plumb it.

Is it possible to gravity feed the light from my sand and gravel filter, or does it require pressure flow from a pump?

Any help would be appreciated.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know the slower the water goes through the uv the better but not sure if it will be enough of a flow as it may take longer to clear .I bought mine on ebay and just got new bulbs for the smaller one on ebay 14 dollars for 4 -9 watt ones .My 18 watt they have now with 3 extra bulbs and less than 36 dollars .I just got one for my neighbor .She had asked me and I told her I would find one she could afford.I just have mine on a small pump i have and it has a splitter on it and goes to both u.v.'s and then right back into the pond

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I know the slower the water goes through the uv the better but not sure if it will be enough of a flow as it may take longer to clear .I bought mine on ebay and just got new bulbs for the smaller one on ebay 14 dollars for 4 -9 watt ones .My 18 watt they have now with 3 extra bulbs and less than 36 dollars .I just got one for my neighbor .She had asked me and I told her I would find one she could afford.I just have mine on a small pump i have and it has a splitter on it and goes to both u.v.'s and then right back into the pond

The flow rate recommended by the manufacturer should not be exceeded if the UV unit is to perform properly.

Ask a Question