Gravity system - outlets submerged = bad?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newb so apologies! My pond setup is a pump that feds into a big gravity fed filter which has two outlets that drop into the pond. Due to rain etc the water keeps getting really high and am I right in thinking that it the outlets get submerged this will cause an issue with the system?

At the moment I keep having to drain water out with the pump every so often - not ideal!

Many thanks

sad muso

Reaction score
Thanks waterbug. I'll try and describe as best as I can, and if that isn't enough I'll take a pic when it's light.

Pond about 4,100 litres, got pump on bottom which feeds into UV filter then into a large filter (usual sponges and stones inside etc etc - then out of this are two tap-like outlets (pointing downwards into the pond)

My concern is that if the water level gets so high that these outlets are submerged it'll cause damage to the system.

Reaction score
I still don't understand your filter...but I can't think of a way a filter would actually be damaged by what I read. A filter might not work as well, depending on the kind of filter.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
No it won't. As long as the inlet is higher than the outlet, the water will flow out. I've actually been thinking about submerging gravity fed filters like that into the pond to hid them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We have a gravity fed system through ou bottom drain to the filters we had a problem with run off so we converted the former inlet of the pond into a soak away to the drain end of problem and at the same time we formed through doing this a rudimentory skimmer for the pond which is 1,.000 gallons Imperial .
It is also free standing with a hexagon shaped wooden decking suround ,
The water flows down through the bottom drain through the various filters until it is boosted back into the pond via an inline dry pump through a UV-C and back into the pond about a foot down .

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question