Driving the Neighbours Mad

Reaction score
Now my pond has started to settle down, with a new much larger pump to help aerate the water, Ive now got a new problem... The noise of the running fountain and filter outfall is driving the neighbours mad... This a very quite area at night and I now have to close off the fountain at night and that means getting wet, as I don't want to turn the pump off to the filters.
Its OK in this weather, but I'm not sure I want to be doing this in the winter... Is it OK to turn off the pump at night, I was told this reek havoc with the stability of the filter and maybe upset my fish too.

Reaction score
Now my pond has started to settle down, with a new much larger pump to help aerate the water, Ive now got a new problem... The noise of the running fountain and filter outfall is driving the neighbours mad... This a very quite area at night and I now have to close off the fountain at night and that means getting wet, as I don't want to turn the pump off to the filters.
Its OK in this weather, but I'm not sure I want to be doing this in the winter... Is it OK to turn off the pump at night, I was told this reek havoc with the stability of the filter and maybe upset my fish too.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That's to bad the neighbors don't like the sound of falling water
You could switch to a smaller pump at night to keep the water moving
Or get a large wind chime and see what noise they like best :eek:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a

Reaction score
DrCase said:

:lol::lol::lol:
I like the idea of a smaller pump for night. what about just an air pump with a air-stone, or am I still causing problems with the filter

Reaction score
DrCase said:

:lol::lol::lol:
I like the idea of a smaller pump for night. what about just an air pump with a air-stone, or am I still causing problems with the filter

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
How about a windchime and a smaller pump? then when they complain about the chime, theymay not notice the smaller pump.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
How about a windchime and a smaller pump? then when they complain about the chime, theymay not notice the smaller pump.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
AlanN said:
:regular_waving_emot:lol::lol:

As long as you are flowing water through it the filter should be ok. With a bio filter, the good bacteria die with still water, not sure how long they would last without flow.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
AlanN said:
:regular_waving_emot:lol::lol:

As long as you are flowing water through it the filter should be ok. With a bio filter, the good bacteria die with still water, not sure how long they would last without flow.

Reaction score
Ive spent a couple of hours today tring to balance out the flows from the pump without making too much noise, although the flow to the filters is good, the fountain is very low and possibly not of much use. I'll have keep an eye on it for a day or two

Reaction score
Ive spent a couple of hours today tring to balance out the flows from the pump without making too much noise, although the flow to the filters is good, the fountain is very low and possibly not of much use. I'll have keep an eye on it for a day or two

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That sucks, bye them some ear plugs! They are probably just jealous of your pond.

Ask a Question