Ducks and a pond net don't mix

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hello all, I have a pair of ducks that arrive April May and stay until July for past 5 years. They don't nest here but like the pond for some reason. Cute to watch all their behaviours. Last July I installed a pond net as I had hawk attacks and some herons came by but not sure if they got any. The net went up end of July and only one time the female came back and landed on the net and I chased it away and they didn't come back. Now I need to get the koi out and the net has to go up. Worried that they come back and get caught in the net. I'm kind of torn because I like the ducks around but the fish safety is important. Any ideas on how I can make both work?

Thks
Wayne

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had them land in my pond even with the wide weave net over the pond. It is up high enough they glided in and could fly out. Never have come back though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had a couple of ducks sit on my net and push it into the water. They just bathed on top of it. I was worried about their feet getting tangled, but it didn't happen. Still, no way to know it couldn't happen.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sure a shame but like with humans the animal world bad azzes ruin it for the good guys :) Was thinking maybe to leave part of the pond open but the evil doers [P. Bush] hawks and herons will see it,

I have the net up as well 1 ft around the edge and higher maybe they will grass land and walk under the net to the pond? Doubt it as they might feel trapped under it.

The mesh is 2" and a ft could get caught although it's pulled tight.

Reaction score
I'd have to see the actual net to give my opinion, but ducks webbing on their feet collapse to where their actual foot is a straight line. So their foot likely wouldn't be what would get caught, but their talons. Depending on what the net is made of would determine the likelihood of that happening - but I think it would be unlikely.

Reaction score
You could also look into the old trick of CD's near the opening to make it difficult for hawks to see it.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Duck Talons?:) They not killers man, they so cute.

I'll close it off. The male came back yesterday landed on the net didn't like it and flew to the grass and left. He didn't come back today:(

Reaction score
Duck Talons?:) They not killers man, they so cute.

I'll close it off. The male came back yesterday landed on the net didn't like it and flew to the grass and left. He didn't come back today:(

Lol I have some, and their talons are quite sharp! Cut me several times from them sliding off my arms when they perched on them.

Happy to hear the ducks won the debate because they are cute!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The male stays off it, but 2 times I had to kick the female off. She just loves the pond, the male can take it or leave it. Just trying to get in the female good books lol. Their mating is crazy lol, he almost drowns the poor girl.

Ask a Question