Pet ducks for a pond

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have been thinking about this for a few years. Has anyone had them? Only thing stopping me is that the breeder has said they will eat the small fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I only have wild ducks at my pond but they have never eaten a fish. Never really showed interest in them. I do feed them cracked corn so that my help. They will forage in the plants and algae etc. Some are there most of the day and some just eat and fly away. For full time ducks you may need to step up your filtration.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks, not sure as why I'm posting to see someone comment with experience on ducky pets..

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I only have wild ducks at my pond but they have never eaten a fish. Never really showed interest in them. I do feed them cracked corn so that my help. They will forage in the plants and algae etc. Some are there most of the day and some just eat and fly away. For full time ducks you may need to step up your filtration.
I have noticed also the wild ducks show no interest. They just look at them funny. Which still worries me as I have seen goldfish swim up to them close by to investigate. Do goldfish have nine lives? They sure act like it sometimes.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I think so long as they are pets and not for eating should be good. If the time comes, I will investigate everything first.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Many years ago -- pre-pond -- we rescued a duck that had been hit by a car. Kept her in the backyard until she was well enough to release. She had her own kiddie pool, too [obviously before we knew about stuff like filtration......]. All I recall about her was her early morning, every morning wake-up alarm. She started about 5am -- quack, quack, quack........ Granted, she was a lone duck, and was in the confines of a modest backyard -- but I swear she knew which window went to our bedroom! And she was messy! I can see having a pond specifically dedicated to ducks, but I can't imagine having ducks live in my goldfish/garden pond. But, to each his own!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
lol and I was thinking a male and female and watching the baby ducks swim behind them months later, poop heaven.

Ask a Question