Dying fish please help

Reaction score
doc's can be kept under control with proper use of Potassium Permanganate, but in unfamiliar hands it will kill the rest of your fish if you overdose one time or any other bevy of variables..it is dangerous...I suggest water changes every week and leave the PP out of your repetior for a little while longer...it is a very strong oxidizer and will suffocate your water column...as far as feeding , if you want a guide...i can only recommend not to feed if your water is 45-50....I do but not often....in the hot of the summer, if i am home, i feed 5-6x a day...i will see if i can find the month/temp suggested feeding schedule the pros use....good move on the qt tank.....Billy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey pdpond. Beneficial bacteria (bb) will turn ammonia into nitrite, and other bb will turn the nitrite into nitrate, At that point plants in your pond will utilize the nitrate. Nitrate is the most inert of the three and the least harmful to your fish. This cycle of turning ammonia to nitrite to nitrate is called cycling your pond. Because your pond is so young both in overall age and for the season it has not built up sufficient quantities of bb. That is why most experts recommend only a few small fish in a new pond to get the pond cycle to work before adding any significant bio-mass. There are a ton of articles on gpf about cycling a pond. If you have all your bb working you don't really need to add any chemicals or quick fixes. While your pond is going through this cycling process it is important to test for ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate. If any of these are high then you can do regular 10-20% water changes until they come down. Experienced ponders don't test so much because they know from experience what to do and also notice warning signs more easily. Re food maybe a little every few days but it is hard to generalize because everyone's pond is different. Overfeeding and excess food in the pond will make these readings high so you really should not feed too much until your pond has fully cycled. Fish obviously eat algae and other tiny organisms and do not really need store bought food so they will not be harmed by the lack of food. I hope this info helps! ck

Reaction score
Hi CK....good advice there for this newbie...we all were once and I wish I had known forums like this existed ...it woulda saved wear and tear on a lot of fish....I am starting my 5th season into ponding...and I only have "1" original fish left...we called him 'BUDDY'...shoulda been "LUCKY" or "TIMEX"...LOL

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pd, just a thought, but you might want to start a new thread to discuss different topics. It will make it a lot easier for you to get a response to a specific question.

Reaction score
parts 1,2 and 3 from YouTube....there are lots of diy's there and I had some input on this one then again, there is always an OASE....they work pretty well but this guy wants to perfect his own...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi CK....good advice there for this newbie...we all were once and I wish I had known forums like this existed ...it woulda saved wear and tear on a lot of fish....I am starting my 5th season into ponding...and I only have "1" original fish left...we called him 'BUDDY'...shoulda been "LUCKY" or "TIMEX"...LOL
LOL we still have our original two koi both aged 27 years this year which is the time weve been keeping koi.
There has been alot of learning done plus I suppose, (I've learned alott more by running the KKU website which sadly needs a buyer to keep things going its owner can no longer affoard to run it you see) but even if it folds It was three years of fun ,
They are classed as our pets these two and as such wont be sold on to create more koi books equipment or food by their sale, these two will be with us till we retire from koi keeping .
They are then going to a dear friends koi and goldfish rescue service who will put them in with her own to spend the rest of their days with her.

rgrds

Dave

pdpond

Banned
Reaction score
Mmathis, I do realize a new thread may create a few more ppl giving their opinions, but it sounds like I've come across a few ppl in this thread that know their shit when it comes to ponding, so its just as easy and less confusing for me posting a million threads for individual questions, thanks for the suggestion though

Billy, no bottom drain, and I'm not worried about a DIY pump I will buy one, I'm just not sure if everyone uses one to keep the garbage from decaying on the bottom of the pond

Dave, how big are your 27 yr old koi?

Reaction score
You should add air and stop feeding. This does not sound like Ick. Your population is high for a 2 month old pond. If they are gold fish and you do not have a QT I would still net any sick ones and remove them. I hope you solve your problem. Dave

pdpond

Banned
Reaction score
Dave, we haven't had any fish die in days now, I think we made it past this growing/learning stage of the pond
I treated the pond with some medicine, did a big water exchange, put a UV light in and voila, life goes on
yes I was guilty of over stocking the pond but thankfully we didn't loose any of our koi, they must be strong and healthy

we do have a 120 gal QT tank set up now and it has a few fish in it to help get the cycle going,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dont you go kidding yourself that your through this as its just the start now comes the learning I suggest a great book thats an eye opener for any fish keeper the Interpet manuel of fish health read and digest and then put into practice what you've learned from this book Amazon sell them quite inexpensively so I'd buy it from there we have a huge fish/koi heath Library built up over the years adding to it as we find the right books.
The question to the how big are our two oldest koi one is 24" the other a rescue koi never got any lager than it is now 6-7" tops.
It just goes to show how you can stunt a fish if you dont know what your doing ( we found this koi living in fear with an Oscar as a tank mate ).
Tiny may be small but his colour is imaculate brown top is now black top as thats the colour hes taken on since being put in a pond, they are nothing to right home about as koi go because they where bought when we didnt really know about the koi world.

rgrds

Dave

pdpond

Banned
Reaction score
Dave I'm not trying to kid myself or anyone else, as stated I said this stage, not that I'm a pro now, I realize I don't know shit about this or I wouldn't be asking for help lol

pdpond

Banned
Reaction score
ok next question, we had a big thunderstorm today and it turned up the water, added about 3" to the pond, but now its green, I just pumped some out because we are getting more tonight I didn't want it to over flow, it was right at the top
sooooo

how do I get rid of the green water from the rain? water exchange I will be doing tomorrow when its done rainging
what else can I do?

Reaction score
where applicable your uv will take care of the green water...the muddy will go away with settling...everybody wants a mud pond but the bad thing is you dont really see the koi unless they come up because they are eternally rooting/eating in the mud bottom and making a mess of things...ahh, the benefits of rubber liners

Ask a Question